10 Aug 2017

Review: Neogen Bio-Peel Gauze Peeling - Wine


I have been really curious with this Peeling Pad ever since it was launched on Soko Glam and subsequently, Hermo. I never thought I would buy it, but Hermo 612 Sales was so attractive that I ended up buying a lot of Neogen products, which of course included this Peeling Pad.


Currently, Neogen is carrying three different types of Peeling Pad, namely wine, green tea and lemon. The one I got is the wine version and is also the best-seller on Soko Glam.





Neogen claims that this is an easy-to-use, soft exfoliating gauze pad that provides gentle and effective exfoliation of dead skin cells and impurities. It will leave the skin smoother, brighter and tighter with its wine-derived resveratrol. It is soaked in a clear, purple essence that dries down tacky. It has an artificial, sweet wine scent that reminds me of some cheap wine candy. I don't know why, but Neogen tends to use some "cheap-smelling" fragrance in its products.


You use one gauze of this after cleansing to gently sweep across your dry face and neck using the rougher side in outward motion, avoiding lips and eyes. You then use the softer and smoother side to gently pad the essence for absorption. Follow it up with your normal skincare. You can also rinse it off if you don't like the residue it leaves on your skin.

INGREDIENTS


Water, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, PEG/PPG-17/6 Copolymer, Tromethamine, Benzophenone-5, Wine Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed, Rubus Fruticosus (Blackberry) Fruit Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Tartaric Acid, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Coptis Chinensis Root Extract, CI 15985, CI 17200, CI 42090, Alcohol Denat., PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Carbomer

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS


This pad uses mainly resveratrol (wine extract), sodium hyaluronate, and several berries extract. There is also some AHA such as tartaric acid, glycolic acid and lactic acid.

Resveratrol, its star ingredient, is a naturally occurring AHA derived from wine to smooth and exfoliate the skin. It is also a potent polyphenolic antioxidant that can inhibit cellular processes associated with tumor growth. It also has excellent anti-inflammatory and soothing effect, and is known for its anti-aging and wrinkles reducing properties.

Berries and grape fruit extracts here are mostly antioxidants and astringent with the ability to tone and retexturize the skin, making it firming and smoother. They can also combat skin damage caused by free radicals and pollution and increase the skin's resilience to external aggressors.

As for the AHA, I don't think they are playing a vital role here as its pH is way below the optimal level for chemical exfoliant to work properly. AHA like glycolic acid or tartaric acid likes to be at arond pH 3.5-4.0 to truly penetrate your skin and does its exfoliating job. At pH below its optimal level, you might still get some of the benefits, but its benefit might be so insignificant that it is null. At proper pH, AHA actually offers amazing skin benefits including the breaking down of piling dead skin cells, wrinkles-reducing, moisturizing, and eventually dark spots and acne scars reducing.

In short, won't say that this is an actual physical and chemical exfoliating pad. It is more like an antioxidants-enriched, AHA-infused scrub in the form of gauze pads.

PERFORMANCE


I use this mostly once a week, sometimes lesser depending on how often I am reminded of it. Official instruction requires that you finish it within 6 months but mine is still in a very good condition after 7 months so I don't want to "waste" it. The shelf-life-after-opening is merely an indicator. Sometimes products go bad before its stated shelf life sometimes it doesn't, so you just have to pay extra attention to their smell and texture instead of just dates.

I normally use it at night, before bed time. I will use this in alternate to physical scrub in a gentle circular motion to slough off my dead skin cells. Just like how you polish your shoes. Then, I will flip it and use the softer side to gently pat the essence in. I will let it stay for several minutes, maybe up to an hour, before rinsing it off with water and follow it up with my other skincare. I try to sleep with it but I find it tacky and unpleasant. My other skincare just won't absorb with this on even after 30 minutes so I normally just rinse it off.

This works for me like a convenient scrub with some chemical exfoliants. It has pH of 5.5-6.0, which is too high to function as a proper chemical exfoliator, so I will still use other AHA or BHA products to gauze the benefits of chemical exfoliants.

To be frank, I did not see significant improvement in term of the clarity and texture of my complexion. My skin does appear brighter after using this, but that is mostly attributed to the scrubbing side of the pads, not really the chemical exfoliants. I also did not observe long-term benefits using this, although I don't use it consistently enough to reap all the benefits it offers.

CONCLUSION


To sum things up, I am not impressed, but not exactly disappointed. This is considered a multi-tasking product, it has a rougher side that mimics scrub and also essence infused with AHA and some antioxidants. It tries to combine the best of both world, which my skin unfortunately does not appreciate. I did not suffer any adverse effect from it though, no breakouts or cracks or itching etc., but the results are seriously not as good as Blithe Splash Mask. I got this for about RM 59 so I think it is a fair value for money considering the scrubbing benefits I got from the pads and the convenience it provides. But I don't think I would repurchase this.

I might prefer Cosrx One Step Pimple Pad over this if I were to repurchase exfoliating pads, because Cosrx one feels perfectly normal to leave on the skin with lower pH and more targeted skin treating purpose. Cosrx also has rougher and softer sides to give me some gentle exfoliating benefits.

But you see, chemical exfoliant is a very tricky thing for me. I have resistant skin that will tolerate most chemical exfoliants. In other words, my skin doesn't react to AHA and BHA as well as sensitive or those with more "problematic" skin, so you should take my opinion with a pinch of salt if you happen to have more sensitive and "reactive" skin. Maybe this will work wonder for you, although it doesn't for me.

Pros:
- convenient, easy-to-use pads with scrubbing and chemical exfoliating properties

Cons:
- no significant/visible long-term skin benefits
- pH too high for the AHAs to work
- rinsing is required unless you won't mind the tackiness
- doesn't fit into normal skincare step so always forget to use it


Overall impression: ★★★☆
Repurchasing: ★★
You can get this from: Soko Glam | Hermo Malaysia
[Disclaimer] Product is purchased with my own money. All copyright of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...