21 Jun 2017

Comparison Review of 19 Body Lotions and Body Moisturizers


I notice that I accumulated a lot of body lotion, or body moisturizers in the past 2-3 years that I haven’t really found a chance to talk about. So, in this review, I’ll be sharing my more comprehensive thoughts on 16 body lotions, serums, and creams I have tried in the past few years and how I feel about them in general. I hope this review will be able to provide a good insight to all of you and perhaps help you to make better choices in the future.

I started looking into body moisturizers ever since I started my office job. You know, in Malaysia, they overcompensate the hot weather by turning the air-cond really low. And as an OL, you cannot really walk around too often so your blood circulation is slowed down, your resistance to coldness is lower too. Then slowly, cracks and dry patches appear on my body especially around my legs and my elbows area so I have to look for a good moisturizer for my body if I want to feel more comfortable.

I used to look for one at Watson’s and Guardian, before turning my attention to local body care shops like The Body Shop and The Face Shop, then slowly international brands such as illi.

Let’s look at some of the products I bought below:


  • Beauty Buffet Scentio Milk Plus Whitening Q10 Body Lotion
  • Belif Body Bomba Body Lotion
  • Belif Delightful Body Balm
  • Beyond Body Healing Moisturizer
  • Enchanteur Paris Double Moisture Body Serum
  • illi Fresh Moisture Body Lotion
  • illi Intensive Moisture Body Lotion
  • illi Total Aging Care Smoothing Lotion
  • illi Total Anti-Aging Body Lotion
  • Innisfree Gardenia Blossom Perfumed Body Lotion
  • Innisfree Jeju Camellia Butter Body Lotion
  • Palmers Shea Butter Formula Body Butter
  • Primera Mango Butter Comforting Body Lotion
  • Rosken Skin Repair Dry Skin Cream
  • The Body Shop Africa Honey & Beeswax Hands & Foot Butter
  • The Body Shop Fijian Water Lotus Body Butter
  • The Body Shop Shea Whip Body Lotion
  • The Body Shop Wild Argan Oil Body Lotion
  • The Face Shop Secret Blossom Smooth Touch Body Oil Mist




Beauty Buffet Scentio Milk Plus Whitening Q10 Body Lotion


I bought this when I visited Thailand. Many bloggers claim that this is one of the best things you can ever get from Thailand, with Q10 and whitening ingredients. But I can be very honest with you guys that there is nothing in here that is comparable to Western and Korean brands. The technology is pretty coarse, the body lotion feels like it has not been properly emulsified. The smell is also kinda cheap, resembling vanilla candy. I just don’t like it at all, and see no whitening effects having used up the entire bottle. I am super disappointed and would not repurchase.

Will I repurchase: ☆

Belif Body Bomba Body Lotion


This is a better body moisturizers that I have bought. There are three flavours to choose from: rosemary, lemon verbena and ylang ylang. Among which, I love ylang ylang the most. I think the body lotion is well-made, the texture gets absorbed into my skin almost immediately, and the scent is pretty nice too. However, one thing that I find not so nice about the body bomba is its price. A tube of this costs you roughly RM 100, which is easily twice more expensive than The Body Shop lotion and five times costlier than drugstore lotions like Nivea and Vaseline.

Will I repurchase: ★★★☆ (expensive)

Belif Delightful Body Balm


This body balm is more suitable for colder season. It is a rich buttery cream that feels really moisturizing and nourishing on the skin. I am not sure do I like this though because I can never seem to apply it evenly on my skin without causing excessive rubbing. I think it will be good for those with drier skin and living in colder places. Again, quite pricey so might not repurchase.

Will I repurchase: ☆ (rich texture, expensive)

Beyond Body Healing Moisturizer


I love this body lotion. It is a soft and lightweight body lotion that feels like body essence when applied on the skin. The smell is also pretty relaxing and calming too. I think it is convenient for travelling and is a nice little thing to have on your washroom cabinet. I would keep repurchasing if it is more accessible in Malaysia.

Will I repurchase: ★★★★ (lightweight, smell nice, not moisturizing enough, not very accessible)

Enchanteur Paris Double Moisture Body Serum


One of the first body lotions I ever bought, and liked. I bought this from Watson’s when it was first launched. It is called a body serum so you can expect it to be very moisturizing and less creamy on the skin. A bottle of this (275ml) costs you RM 20-25 which I think is really reasonable. The smell is pretty nice, like a perfumy floral scent. The texture is also really lightweight and can penetrate deep into the skin. I like this, and will repurchase if I run out of options but it is not my holy grail yet.

Will I repurchase: ★★★★ (lightweight, smell nice, quite moisturizing, cheap but not unique)

illi Fresh Moisture Body Lotion


I only got a small sample of this from my other illi purchases and I have already made up my mind not to repurchase. It smells like some kind of sickening perfumy citrusy that my nose cannot tolerate. The texture is lovely, pretty creamy yet lightweight but there is no point buying it if it gives me headache whenever I use it.

Will I repurchase: ☆ (the scent gives me headache)

illi Intensive Moisture Body Lotion


This is much better than the Fresh Moisture in term of its scent. It has a powdery fruity scent that I cannot really describe that I find less irritating. The texture is considered light, but you will still feel the nourishment it provides. If the famous “Total Anti-Aging” is what you would call an “oil essence”, then this Intensive Moisture is definitely a blend of oil essence and cream. I use this in my cold and dry office and I find it pretty helpful in moisturizing my skin.

Will I repurchase: ★★★☆ (there are better options but this is a good choice for dry skin that wants non-sticky application)

illi Total Aging Care Smoothing Lotion


This is sort of like a body gel with a convenient pump top. It comes with a lot of products and the price is quite cheap too. The scent is similar to the Total Anti-Aging Body Lotion so if you find the former sticky or rich, then this is a great option. There is nothing much I can say about this smoothing lotion since I find it kinda “meh” and don’t use it as often as I should.

Will I repurchase: ★ (don’t find it useful in my daily routine)

illi Total Anti-Aging Body Lotion


This is one of the most-raved, highly moisturizing yet lightweight body lotions in the market. You can also think of it as a body oil essence. It is a nourishing, quick absorbing, and nicely scented body lotion that feels nice on the skin. I think I can understand where the raves are coming from. The product feels gorgeous on your skin and the price is not too expensive if you get it from Gmarket. Something I would continue to repurchase. Like it as much as The Body Shop Shea Whip Lotion.

Will I repurchase: ★★★★☆ (everything is great except that it is not very accessible)

Innisfree Gardenia Blossom Perfumed Body Lotion


This is like a road shop body lotion. Everything is pretty average about it. The texture is just like most other body lotions, the scent is quite perfumy but not too “cheap” and the price point is acceptable at about RM 40. There is nothing I can complain about this body lotion, since it fulfills the basic of everything you want from a body lotion. And it is a much better road store body lotion if you compare it to Beauty Buffet Scentio. Not sure would I repurchase since it is not the cheapest and has nothing really extraordinary about it. If you have oilier skin, if you are younger, and if you just want a perfumy lotion for your body, then this is perfect for you. However, if you want something that will really perform and offer long-lasting moisture, then this isn’t for you.

Will I repurchase: ★★★☆ (average, lightweight, smell nice, cute)

Innisfree Jeju Camellia Butter Body Lotion


This is a more nourishing and moisturizing body lotion from Innisfree. It is only available in Korea so you need to order it online. Basically, this is a sweet and powdery vanilla-smelling runny body “cream” that will offer real moisturizing benefits for your skin. I often use this in my air-cond room. Again, this is very nice, but not great, I still find The Body Shop Shea Whip Lotion better in term of moisturizing properties, spread-ability and even scent!

Will I repurchase: ★★★☆ (rich but not really as moisturizing as I like, more like greasy)

Palmers Shea Butter Formula Body Butter


I think only those with flaking and extremely dry skin will like this. This feels like unprocessed raw shea butter. It is so creamy, rich and buttery that you can’t leave it on without feeling like you are melting in grease. Not recommended. Use it less than 3 times.

Will I repurchase: ☆ (too rich)

Primera Mango Butter Comforting Body Lotion


This is a powdery fruity smelling body lotion that is pretty ordinary. Just like most other body lotions in the market, I don’t see why I should spend close to RM 100 when I can get something similar at local drugstore at about RM 10-15.

Will I repurchase: ★ (too ordinary, pricey)

Rosken Skin Repair Dry Skin Cream


This is a very nourishing body cream that you can apply on the drier parts of your body. I find it as rich as The Body Shop Fijian Water Lotus Body Butter and isn’t at all helpful at locking moisture on my skin. The scent is also pretty average, like some kind of medicated lotion. I think given its price, it is a decent body cream for sensitive and dry to very dry skin but nothing about it excites me really. Would not repurchase.

Will I repurchase: ★ (rich texture)

The Body Shop Africa Honey & Beeswax Hands & Foot Butter


This is a very nourishing and delicious-looking body cream. It does smell like it is made of honey and beeswax. The butter feels really moisturizing on my elbows, knees and ankles. However, I do notice that I don’t have the intention to use this on a daily basis so I end up wasting a lot of the product. I think I wouldn’t repurchase something similar in the price. This product feels like a “neck cream” for me where I can just do the trick by applying the same thing I put on my face to my neck. It saves me a lot of hassles and makes the whole routine thing more pleasurable. I enjoy this hands and foots butter but I don’t think I need it or will repurchase it in the future.

Will I repurchase: ★★★☆ (don’t feel the need in my routine)

The Body Shop Fijian Water Lotus Body Butter


This is really moisturizing and “greasy” body cream. I don’t think this is as buttery and as creamy as the shea butter one, but definitely nourishing and greasy. Its consistency is between body butter and body lotion of The Body Shop. The smell is really enticing though, which can be overwhelming if you have sensitive nose. It has a gender neutral floral scent that is on the perfumy side. For some reason, I think only guys in their late 30s or Indian people will like this scent. But that is just my personal opinions. I initially really enjoy the texture and scent but grow intolerable to it over time.

Will I repurchase: ★ (too greasy, scent is overwhelming, pricey)

The Body Shop Shea Whip Body Lotion


This is my holy grail body lotion, the only product that I will keep repurchasing. It has a nice creamy scent. I don’t think it is the scent of raw shea but for some reason you’ll feel that this smells like shea butter. The lotion has just the right amount of creaminess when applied too. It is creamy but not overly greasy and will leave my skin moisturized for long hours.

Will I repurchase: ★★★★★ (holy grail body lotion!)

The Body Shop Wild Argan Oil Body Lotion


I thought I would like this since I really love its Shea Whip Body Lotion counterpart. However, I am disappointed. This feels like a less creamy, more greasy version of the Shea Whip Body Lotion, and the scent is kinda weird as well. I think The Body Shop has really good perfume-makers because you’ll still feel that this is how argan oil should smell like, although frankly speaking I know argan oil doesn’t smell like this. Anyway, this is by no mean comparable to The Body Shop Shea Whip Body Lotion consistency-wise. Would not repurchase.

Will I repurchase: ★ (find it greasy, doesn’t like its scent, have better option)

The Face Shop Secret Blossom Smooth Touch Body Oil Mist


This is my first body oil mist, and probably will be my last. I actually kinda enjoy it, finding it a pleasure to apply. It has oil and water mixture in it that you need to shake prior to using. However, this is kinda tiny given its price and you’ll finish this really soon. Also, this is more of a body mist (perfumed mist) than a moisturizing mist and it will not give you anything much except for the nice scent. I see it as a waste of money and high maintenance product. Will not consider repurchasing.

Will I repurchase: ★ (not really a body moisturizer, high maintenance, fast-finishing)

FINAL THOUGHT

I think it is clear from my sharing that I have two holy grails here: The Body Shop Shea Whip Body Lotion and illi Total Aging Care Body Lotion. I like them for different reasons. The Body Shop is a creamy, nice-smelling skin moisturizing lotion whereas illi is a hanbang skin nourishing oil essence. Both comes in a big tube with The Body Shop 100ml lesser in volume than illi. You can get The Body Shop one at RM 59.90 (with 10-30% discount occasionally) from local store, whereas illi one retails for US$ 10-20 at various kbeauty stores online. The only I got costs me less than RM 40 for 350ml, but the price varies at different places.

I have tried so many body lotions or body moisturizers from many brands in the past few years. I don’t think all body moisturizers are made equal. Some actually quite sticky without doing anything for your skin, so it is important that you test them out before buying.

In this review, I point out the weaknesses and strength of each body moisturizers I use and discuss briefly about the cost-performance value of each product. I hope that this review will be helpful for some of you in making wise buying decision. Thank you for reading and have a nice day ahead!

[Disclaimer] Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...