24 Apr 2017

Review: Primera Super Sprout Serum


Actually I wasn't that interested in this product back then, I worried that it would be too rich for my liking hence was a little reluctant on trying it out. It was not until I got this as a GwP from the Primera Alpine Berry Watery Cream that I finally got to try it.

This is not my first Primera product. I did a review on the Primera Miracle Seed Essence last year introducing this wonderful essence that is suitable for sensitive, dehydrated and dull skin. I also just reviewed the two creams  I got from Primera. And my overview of several Primera products can also be found here.

I wouldn't say that I am a Primera fan, because I have other brands that I prefer, but the brand actually has quite a number of products that are worth trying out. This Super Sprout Serum, as one of the few with an eco cert, is definitely one of the worthies. Primera products are generally very gentle, eco-friendly and nutritious. You won't see the brand keeps coming up with products just to boost sales or to rekindle public interest. They are really picky about the products they made so you will see only sprouts and organic extracts are being used in their products. The Super Sprout Serum, with its ecocert, even means that at least 95% of the total ingredients are naturally derived and at least 95% of their plant-based ingredients are from organic farming.


Primera Super Sprout Serum is an anti-aging serum. It is made of three major black sprouts, namely the black rice, black bean and black sesame. Black foods are more popular than white ones nowadays due to their higher antioxidants content. And black bean is often consumed as a tonic in the Asian community and is believed to be beneficial for your kidney. Black sesame is also widely popular among the Asian women as one of the miracle plants that helps to keep the hair black and shiny. You know... grey or brownish hair among Asian women signalizes internal health issues so it is in our belief that food is a kind of medicine in itself.


This is not the type of product that can reduce signs of aging as effectively as actives (i.e. vitamin A, vitamin B3, vitamin C, AHA, etc.). Do not expect to wake up the next day peeling like crazy and then end up getting baby soft skin a few days later. This doesn't do anything like that. This is more of an organic and "natural" way to revitalize, rejuvenate and restore your skin's health. It is more of a tonic than a medicine. If you are looking for something quick and effective, more than a long-term maintenance, then you probably should go for this.


The product is housed in a dark glass bottle. It is not air-tight because you can still screw open the top. It comes in a convenient pump top where you control the amount of product you use each time, but it is hard for the pump to pick up the last 5% of the remaining product though so you gotta open the cap to pour the product out manually.

The product comes in a milky essence consistency. It is easy to spread over your skin as there is a lot of emollients inside. The newly upgraded version is easier to absorb without leaving any stickiness however you are still advise to apply it on toned or damp skin to avoid any tackiness as this product is pretty rich. I don't think it will work well for oilier skin though. But if you have oilier skin and living in a cold weather than you can give this a try.


INGREDIENTS

Water, Propanediol, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Germ Extract, Glycerin, Alcohol, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sprout Extract, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Sprout Extract, Dicaprylyl Ether, Rheum Undulatum Root/Stalk/Stem Extract, Oleanolic Acid, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Extract, C14- 22 Alcohols, Sucrose Palmitate, Xanthan Gum, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Glyceryl Stearate, C12-20 Alkyl Glucoside, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Phytate, Glyceryl Caprylate, Dextrin, Mannan, Sucrose, Fragrance

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS


Main ingredients used here are black rice sprout, black bean sprout and sesame sprout. There are also rheum undulatum plant extract, olive oil derivative, cocoa extract and several sugar derivatives. Other stuffs are mainly emollients. Alcohol is also included here to give this a lighter consistency. I personally don’t smell or feel any “alcoholness” in this serum but if you are sensitive to alcohol, you should at least patch test before trying. 

Black rice sprout is an antioxidant that can prevent the skin from sun damage and can also reduce signs of aging like wrinkles, dark spots and fine lines. I don’t think this can reduce non-aging related hyperpigmentation, especially freckles since it involves melanin production within your skin. But this can definitely prevent aging-related hyperpigmentation and maybe fade the existing ones. Antioxidants are also found to be especially good at restoring skin elasticity and maintaining firmness.

Blackbean is normally consumed as a tonic for the body. It is rich in antioxidants anthocyanin as well as isoflavones, both of which are great for anti-aging and elasticity improving. Soybean is also a skin repairing ingredient and amino acid that is found to have moisturizing and softening benefits for the skin. It also contains proline, which is a part of collagen molecule, that functions to break down protein to help maintaining healthy cells, promoting firmer and smoother complexion.

Black sesame is a powerful antioxidant that is also rich in linoleic acid, vitamin  E and vitamin D to provide anti-inflammatory, anti-aging and hyperpigmentation-reducing properties. It is a water binder and emollient that can nourish and rejuvenate the skin. It also contains loads of minerals like phosphorus, copper, calcium, zinc and magnesium for better skin health. The oil-pulling properties of sesame oil is also helpful to reduce acne and calm inflammation caused by bacterial infection.

The ingredients do appear nice and comprehensive. There isn’t a lot of frills. Apart from the botanical extracts, others are mainly solvent, emollients, surfactants and fragrance. However, I notice that there isn’t any preservative in here. I am not sure is there any ingredient in here that functions as natural preservative, but antioxidants do function as a preservative for your product especially those containing a lot of oils as it can prevent the oxidation of oils. But do keep in mind that you must store this away from the sun and minimize temperature fluctuation in your room to minimize oxidation of your serum since there isn’t any functional preservative in this product. You can refer to this article for further reading on skincare preservatives.

CONCLUSION


I started using this product about 9-12 months ago. I don't use it frequently, only when I need it. I find it a bit boring and too rich if I use it days and nights. I do notice that if I use it on days when I have sun burn, or get too much sun exposure, my skin is much calmed and less irritated from the antioxidizing benefits of this product. 

I don't recommend you to use this and skip your moisturizer because this product can be a little bit greasy and if your skin doesn't absorb enough moisture and start producing oil, you will suffer from this uncomfortable "greasy-moisture-ness". 

I had been using this consistently for the past 1 month when I felt it was time to write this review. I did not notice a lot of improvements in the elasticity, firmness and overall texture of my skin. I think it is possible that my skin is already doing very well under IOPE and this only helps to maintain that optimal level. I don't think this is suitable for oily skin because it would feel a bit greasy sometimes especially if I used it days and nights. It doesn't work well under heavier moisturizer like Blithe Velvet Yam Pressed Serum, so only a lightweight moisturizer will do. It is also not the perfect product for layering as it is nourishing and nutritious alone as a stand-alone moisturizing and anti-aging serum.

Although there is a lack of visible performance, I definitely feel that my skin is much smoother, moisturized and nourished whenever I am using this. The result is most notable after sun exposure. As such, I like to use this whenever I feel that my skin is under a lot of stress and sun exposure. But I won't use this when my skin is doing well because it is still a bit on the richer side and I always prefer using a richer moisturizer over a richer serum.

In short, would I repurchase? Likely no. I love Primera products, I love the Mild Peeling Gel, the Alpine Berry Watery Cream, and the Miracle Seed Essence but I think I will love them more if I live in a colder environment. This Super Sprout Serum is a good nourishing antioxidant that can smooth and nourish your skin although I don't have a lot of aging issues to notice visible improvements in my skin texture. Maybe I will revisit it a few years later but not now.

packaging: ★★★★
scent: ★★★☆
texture: ★★★★
ingredients: ★★★★
efficacy: ★★★
overall impression: ★★★★ (a lightweight nourishing serum with loads of antioxidizing benefits!)

You can get this from: Althea Korea | Gmarket | Koreadepart
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Product is purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...