3 Apr 2017

Review: Aromatica Rosemary Scalp Scaling Shampoo


I bought this to make up for Althea minimum required spending to get their free shipping service. Before they lowered it to RM 99, Althea actually required that you spend at least RM 150 to be eligible for free shipping, which was a big headache for me because their shipping could be quite expensive sometimes. Since I just ran out of Innisfree Zero Shampoo and the seller I used to buy from is no longer carrying this, I just thought of giving this Aromatica one a try.

Talking about Aromatica, it is a vegen brand that uses only natural and organic ingredients. I tried their rose serum and lotion previously but sadly those were not meant for my skin. But even that, I still have a lot of faith on the brand itself which is why I gave its shampoo a try. It is a brand that just doesn't contain anything harsh, synthetic or of animal origins. It doesn't have dyes, mineral oil, paraben or anything that might show up badly on CosDNA scale. I thought maybe this all-natural shampoo will turn out well for my extremely picky and troubled scalp that needs something good?

Let's find out below to see if it works for my scalp this time!



Aromatica Rosemary Scalp Scaling Shampoo is a mild shampoo formulated with rosemary, cedar wood and indian gooseberry fruit extract to strengthen hair and scalp, leaving it soft and silky. It is designed for thinning hair and weaker root, almost like an anti-hair fall remedy. It can also deep-cleanse the scalp to clear off anything bad inside to allow the hair to grow on a healthier "soil". Initially I wanted to get the Tea Tree Purifying Shampoo but since the Tea Tree was meant for oily skin and mine is dry, I opted for this instead.


INGREDIENTS

Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract, Pinus Densiflora Leaf Extract, Zingiber Officinale Root Extract, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Lauryl Glucoside, Propanediol, Carbomer, Verbena Officinalis Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, **Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil, Capryloyl Salicylic Acid, Polyquaternium-7, Panthenol, Polyquaternium-10, **Lavandula Angustifolia Oil, **Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, **Citrus Paradisi Oil, **Pelargonium Graveolens Oil

**natural essential oil

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS

This shampoo uses only botanical ingredients such as essential oils and plant extracts as well as some non-comedogenic and gentle foaming ingredients. Except for carbomer and polyquaternium-7 with a score of 1 and 3 on irritant and safety scales, the rest are very safety and mild on CosDNA rating. Polyquaternium is a film-foaming agent that can make the hair appears smoother and is especially good for chemically treated hair. No synthetic preservatives are sighted, but the essential oils inside do function as natural preservatives as well though.

Major ingredients include rosemary leaf extract, red pine needle extract, and ginger root extract; other ingredients include verbena officinalis extract, matricaria flower extract, lavender extract, orange extract, grapefruit extract, geranium oil, and so on. Rosemary leaf extract, ginger root extract and pine needle extract are antioxidants and anti-microbial, which mean they can reduce the growth of harmful bacteria on the scalp and can also function as deodorants. Rosemary, ginger root and lavender oil are fragranced ingredients that give this shampoo its unique herbal and slightly spicy scent. Ginger root is also a natural anti-septic that can combat dandruff, rejuvenate the skin and detoxify the scalp. It can also promote wound healing, which is really great for the times when you accidentally scratch your scalp. You know… there are times you just can’t control the desire to scratch it when it starts itching! And then we have BHA, which is sometimes added into shampoo and scalp treatment to reduce dry patches, restore suppleness to the skin, regulate sebum on the scalp and unclog pores. But since this shampoo has a pH of 5.5, and BHA only works best around pH of 3-4, this will not effectively exfoliate your scalp like normal acid treatment for our face.

TEXTURE AND PH


This shampoo has a clear gel consistency that can be lathered into gentle and soft foam in contact with water. It has a healthy pH at around 5.5 which is good for the moisture barrier of the skin (and of course scalp) to function optimally.

PERFORMANCE



Despite its delicious ingredients, beautiful packaging, and reasonable price (given the quality of ingredients used), this shampoo (or maybe just the brand) does not live up to my expectation. It does smell really nice, foams up nicely and its ingredients do not irritate my scalp immediately after using, but it is soooo deep-cleansing that it makes my scalp and hair super dry after cleansing every time. And this leaves me flooded in dandruff ever since I start using it. My hair becomes brittle and lifeless whereas my scalp is always irritated, not because of bacterial infection or oiliness, but because of dryness. My bf who happened to use this when he visited me last week complained that this had made his hair super dry so he confiscated it. "No wonder you have so much dandruff lately," was what I remembered he said, and that was the last time I ever see the shampoo.

So, unless if you have super oily hair, or thining hair (I don't think your hair will grow on a deserted soil though), I would not recommend this to anyone. It might smell nice and has some really good ingredients but its side effects such as causing dandruff and unnecessarily drying out my hair and scalp are things that I beg to avoid. And its price is almost the same, or even more expensive than Innisfree Zero Shampoo that I raved about previously so this is definitely not something I will ever repurchase.

PS: when I was writing this, my Innisfree Zero Shampoo Refill Pack is already on its way shipped here. 

packaging: ★★★★☆
scent: ★★★★☆
texture: ★★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★★★
performance - deep-cleansing: ★★★★★ (but it made my scalp and hair too dry)
performance - thickening: ★★★ 
general impression: ★☆ (this causes me issue, will not repurchase)


You can get this from: Althea Malaysia
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Product is purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...