11 Apr 2017

Comparison Review: 12 Scalp Treatments I Have Tried for My Dry, Flaky and Sensitive Scalp


As shared in my previous reviews and beauty tips, I have really naughty scalp that is always scaly and flaky. It is itchy from time to time, and is accompanied by loads of dandruff. I know I ain't old man, so I am not supposed to have metabolism issue, but that was the sad truth for my scalp. It is just... embarrassing. I have tried out a bunch of scalp treatments, but none seems to work before I met Lador. And Lador one isn't perfect either, as I am still troubled by dandruff and dry scalp issue. 

Anyhow, I think I am experienced enough, having tried more than 10 scalp treatments in the past few years, to share with you guys some of the good and bad things that you can have for your scalp. I hope that this will serve as a useful guide for those of you who are interested in trying out some of the products below, or want to find out which products are best for your scalp.

To recap, I have dry and flaky scalp that will start itching when I am sweating or when I am in a dry environment. This is a skin issue I develop after furthering my study in Canada. I am not sure what are the exact causes for my scalp problem, but I think it is the weather and food there that has somehow burdened my scalp. The shampoo I used in Canada might be a contributing factor as well. Plus my old habit of lying directly on the bed after washing my hair. Read on if you have the same/similar problem as mine.

Products mentioned are:
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Avene Skin Recovery Cream (Calming Formula)
  • Innisfree Eco Ice Head Cooler
  • Innisfree Green Tea Mint Fresh Scalp Tonic Essence
  • Hello Everybody Verbena Scalp Scaling Mask
  • Lador Scalp Scaling Spa
  • Lador Tea Tree Scalp Clinic Hair Pack
  • Moogoo Scalp Cream
  • Ryoe Anti-Hair Loss Treatment
  • Ryoe Jayangjunmo Scalp Deep Cleanser
  • Tsubaki Head Spa Mask
  • Yves Rocher Rinsing Vinegar


Apple Cider Vinegar


I was quite hesitated about using apple cider vinegar (ACV) on my scalp. A lot of article I found online cited the benefits ACV has for our scalp, but I was just skeptical. Well, according to the information I found online, ACV is acidic at somewhere between 4.5-5.5, which is close to the ideal pH level of our scalp, so it can balance the pH and sebum production of our scalp and help it to fight against fungal and bacterial growth. Anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, in short. But that's for oilier scalp, how about dry scalp? So although ACV can temporarily relief my itchiness issue, it never eliminate them. And its rawness and funky scent are big turnoffs for me as well. So, I gave up on ACV after using it for several times.

Avene Skin Recovery Cream (Calming Formula)


Avene, the sensitive skin saviour. I bought this because my best friend is using this and she has been raving about it. So, naturally, I pay more attention to this brand than I would normally do. It is quite boring, but it has never failed to calm even the sensitiviest skin (I think only a few people report sensitive reactions to its products). I remembered I bought this when I was shopping around KLCC and suddenly my scalp got super itchy and I just needed something to calm it immediately. It was not cheap, at about RM 50-60, but I needed it and I couldn't find better skin soothing stuff so I bought it. I bought it... and I regretted. This stuff will work on your face, BUT NOT YOUR SCALP. It is after all a cream, and you are meant to keep your scalp dry (by dry I mean not wet), even though you may have dry scalp. Does that make sense? Anyway... this product can only calm my scalp for about 10 minutes.. and then those bacterial will happily come after me when my scalp is wet enough to be their bed. The itchiness strikes, just 10 minutes after applying this! I managed to empty it, but I would not repurchase.

Innisfree Eco Ice Head Cooler


Another product I bought when I was (window) shopping. Shopping is such an enabler that any shopoholic should avoid!!! Again, I bought this when I was suffering from itchy scalp sometimes last year (or the year before that?). This product claims to cool and calm your scalp within seconds with its unique cooling system. Well... this is another product that feels immediately soothing when you sprayed it on your scalp, but disaster happens when your scalp becomes excessively wet. But if you don't spray enough amount on your scalp, the cooling sensation will not be strong enough to calm and soothe your scalp. Get the dilemma there? I finished using 3 bottles of this (because I just happened to buy that much), and I wouldn't repurchase. It is good for summer time, or if you have normal scalp, but not dry, sensitive and flaky scalp.

Innisfree Green Tea Mint Fresh Scalp Tonic Essence



Another Innisfree product that just came out a few months ago, which seems good for my scalp. It claims to control excessive sebum on the scalp and help balance its moisture and oil level. It is made with mint oil and peppermint extract, so you can expect that it is quite cooling and refreshing when you spritz it on your scalp. And it contains this "subacid formula" that can restore your scalp's pH level. The fact that you don't have to rinse it off is a plus, which means it is lightweight enough as a leave-on scalp essence.

But whether or not it is effective is quite hard to say. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And when it works, it is the time when my scalp is producing oil. This can soothe and calm my oil-producing scalp within minutes, but it cannot help to keep my scalp balanced, moisturized or dandruff-free. So if you have oily scalp, then congratulation, this should work fine for you. But if you have dry scalp, then you just gotta test your luck.

Lador Scalp Scaling Spa



I have talked about this product in detail here, so I don't want to go into too much details on this. Basically, it is a wash-off scalp treatment that you leave on your scalp for 5-10 minutes after shampooing and then rinse off. It was lightweight, hydrating and cooling when I left it on my scalp, and my scalp will be dandruff and itchiness-proof for the next 3 days. But since I don't use this every three days, it is not as heroic as my beloved Lador Tea Tree Scalp Clinic Hair Pack that we are gonna talk below.

Lador Tea Tree Scalp Clinic Hair Pack


This is my holy grail scalp treatment, the true hero for my scalp. My scalp can stay itch-free for the whole day whenever I am using it. And I can even use it as a hair conditioner because it is so moisturizing that your hair and scalp will thank you for putting it on them! Again, my full review is already up on my blog so I won't go into too much details on them. This is the only product that I have kept repurchasing ever since I discovered it. I have gone through at least 4 bottles of this and will keep repurchasing in the future!

Moogoo Scalp Cream


This is an expensive crab that I would strongly recommend anyone to STAY AWAY! It claims to moisturize and calm eczema and reduce flakiness on your scalp. It claims to do many things, and it is from a good company in Australia! And these are crabs. This thing makes my itchiness WORSE when I put it on my scalp. I am so speechless. I never came across any scalp treatment that makes your scalp condition worse after you put it on your scalp. And it stings. Trust me, I got checked the expiry date and it wasn't expired. Yet.. it smells yuck like some kind of rotten cabbage. And it itches my scalp even more!!! Can you believe that?! No I wouldn't repurchase anymore. I didn't even finish this although it costed me about RM 100! I can't force my skin to drink this stuff up. Hell NO.

Ryoe Anti-Hair Loss Treatment


This is a meh. It didn't improve my dry and flaky scalp issue, but it didn't cause me troubles either. This is one of the few treatments I found few years ago that can also be applied to my scalp. I loved Ryo Jayangjunmo so I bought this just to give it a try. This is an anti-hair loss scalp treatment which is meant to strengthen the root of your hair and also your scalp. It is made of ginseng extract. Korean is a ginseng land so be surprised that their grocery store hair brand is having this expensive ingredient. It was a creamy paste that felt kinda soothing and moisturizing for the scalp. It didn't clog my scalp but it didn't do much to my scalp problem either so I didn't repurchase after I finished using it.

Ryoe Jayangjunmo Scalp Deep Cleanser


I bought this from Gmarket last year along with several other Ryo hair care. It is a deep-cleansing treatment for the scalp. It wasn't cheap though, costed me nearly RM 40 for a bottle of this, but it was not impressive. My scalp was definitely clearer, less-scaly and itch-free after using this, but it was so drying that made my already-dry scalp even drier. So it didn't really solve my problem either. I would prefer to do a deep-cleansing treatment for my scalp at hair saloon than to use this. It was not a bad problem, but definitely not for those with dry scalp. Would not recommend.

Tsubaki Head Spa Mask


This was a good wash-off type mask for scalp. It was quite lightweight (lighter than many other creamy stuff) and moisturizing on your scalp. It claims to reduce itchiness, redness, dandruff and hair fall problems for your scalp. You massaged this on your scalp for about 10-20 minutes after shampooing and then rinsed it off later. You can also use this on your hair end as a conditioner to prevent splitting of the hair. Personally, I didn't notice any improvement in my hair fall or dandruff but I do notice that my scalp is less prone to itchiness, stays moisturized for longer and is less likely to produce oil. I didn't repurchase after I finished it because I wanted to try out a lot of other things, and then my desire to go back to this was even lesser when I found Lador Tea Tree Hair Pack. But if you live in Malaysia and has no access to Lador one, then this would be a great alternative.

Hello Everybody Verbena Scalp Scaling Mask



This is a wash-off type hair mask that you can also use on your scalp. It claims to reduce sebum production on your scalp as well as to cool and calm it down. It is also advertised to be suitable for office people who often stay in a cold and dry environment for more than 8 hours. To be honest, I have never so missed my Lador Tea Tree Hair Pack before I changed it to this product. This Hello Everybody Hair Mask seriously feels like a cheap peppermint paste on my scalp. It doesn't calm or moisturize my scalp, nor can it keep my scalp itch-free for the whole day. It does provide some cooling sensation but anything with peppermint can do that. I might as well just bought a bunch of peppermint and then cover my scalp with it. Yeah... I don't have a lot of things to say about this Hair Mask. It is just another crab that I feel like is a waste of my time and money.

Yves Rocher Rinsing Vinegar


I have talked about this in detail before, but I want to include it here for comparison purpose. I didn't like ACV so you wouldn't expect me to like this processed vinegar either. Some people say that this stuff smells great, but for me, it is too sweet and fruity and it will linger on my scalp whenever I go especially after sweating. You can imagine how horrified I was when I smelled something sweet on my scalp when I sweat. Isn't it supposed to be rinsed off my scalp?! How come its fragrance, something that might irritate skin, stayed on my scalp and came out with my sweat?! Most importantly, this stuff doesn't work. Worse, it itches me out further. So I will not repurchase.

FINAL THOUGHT

I hope I won't disappoint you because it seems like I don't like most of the stuffs I shared here. But it is better to tell you guys now than to let you guys disappointed when you spent your money on it and found that it didn't turn out well. So far, only Lador seems to work best for my scalp problem. But after trial and error with so many hair products, I have come out with my own conclusions on how to calm sensitive, dry and flaky scalp which I want to share with you guys:

1. Never sleep with a wet scalp. Always use a hair dryer before hitting your bed.

2. Don't use high heat when you are blowing your hair dry. You can find a good hair dryer with some ions that are good for your scalp. The hair dryer I use is Panasonic EH-NA45 Nanocare. I am not sure what are those, but they do help my scalp issue a lot!

3. Don't eat spicy food. Try to be as vegen as possible.

4. Get well rested. This is VERY IMPORTANT.

5. Don't worry about mineral oil in your hair/scalp treatment. Worry about not rinsing them off thoroughly.

6. Don't buy unknown brands from night market or road shops, especially if you have sensitive scalp. You won't know what is inside the products.

7. Don't use shampoo that is too deep-cleansing. Don't dry out your scalp/hair too much.

8. Visit your saloon once every three month to do a scalp deep-cleansing treatment, but don't buy anything from them. Without the machine, most hair tonic is not that effective when you DIY.

9. Don't change your shampoo frequently. Don't... It will freak out your scalp and when you change it back, your scalp might reject it.

10. Don't wash your hair too often. Limit it to once a day or once every two days.

I hope these tips are helpful and good luck finding your best scalp remedy!


[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...