12 Dec 2016

Review: My Holy Grail Shampoo for Sensitive, Flaky and Dry Scalp - Innisfree Zero Shampoo for Dry Scalp


I am quite a junkee when it comes to skincare products, but for haircare, I just have to jump from products to products because no shampoos seem to work well on me. I have tried dozens, from Loreal Paris, Dove, Schwarzkopf, Tsubaki to Ryoe and Yungo. I even did a comparison review on those shampoos I've tried in the past. Although they are different in many ways, but their share one similarity - they don't really agree with my scalp 95% of the time.

Drugstore brands like Loreal Paris, Dove, Clear, Aquair, Sunsilk, and Head & Shoulder were completely useless on my scalp. I'm not sure why, but probably because of the SLSs, excessive fragrance and low-quality ingredients used. Silicone might be a reason as well.

And then I moved over to pricier brands like Tsubaki, Ryoe and Yungo. My scalp fared better with Tsubaki but it made my hair drier. Ryoe green bottle Cheongamo deep cleanses my scalp but it is also pretty drying for my hair. Yungo is a total mess as my scalp becomes super irritated after first few uses. I used to do well on Ryoe purple Jayangjunmo for Sensitive Scalp but somehow my second bottle doesn't work as effective as the first one on my sensitive scalp. I just have to look for alternative which is how I found this Innisfree Zero Shampoo.






image courtesy of Innisfree Korea

I'm so attracted to its "0% Shampoo" label that I bought it even though I still have a lot of new and opened, tried but unsuitable ones laying inside my wardrobe. I am always a fan of Innisfree and this shampoo with its silicone-free and SLS-free labels really appeal to me. Maybe this will be the remedy for my super picky itchy scalp?


Just for your information, I have sensitive, itchy, and flaky scalp and dry hair. This review may not apply to those people with oilier scalp.


This Zero Shampoo has a simple and elegant packaging, kinda like the concept of the Japanese brand Muji. One of the reasons why I like it.


This 0% Zero Shampoo is a silicone-free shampoo infused with hyaluronic acid that will hydrate the hair while keeping it airy and light. Sometimes shampoo with a lot of silicones tends to weight your hair down by adding in a lot of greasy-feeling smoothness. These silicones might also block glands in your scalp if you do not rinse it off completely and contribute to the itchiness and complication, but not this one. I guess this is one of the reasons why this does not clog pores on my scalp and has helped to improve my dandruff condition.


I think this shampoo works best for those with dryness-related dandruff and itchiness issue, instead of other reasons like poor circulation and malfunctioning glands on the scalp. If you have more complicated issues I would seriously advise you to consult a physician to avoid wasting your money on products that don't suit you. I've been there before, wasting tonnes of money experimenting different products that is enough for me to consult a scalp expert.



As you can see, the shampoo has a semi-viscous, slightly milky, gel-consistency that will foam up gently but sufficient to remove dirts and dust trapped in your hair. It has a healthy pH level at around 5.5.

INGREDIENTS

Aqua, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sorbitol, Cocoamidopropyl Betain, Cocamide Methyl MEA, Prunus Mume Fruit Extract, Anhydroxylitol, Lactobacillus/Soybean Ferment Extract, Nelumbium Speciosum Flower Extract, Xylitol, Xylitylglucoside, Guar Hydroxypopyltrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Disodium EDTA, Laureth-4, Lauric Acid, Lactic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium Salicylate, Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citric Acid, Ethanol, Cocamide MEA, Trihydroxystearin, Propanediol, PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Cocamide, PPG-3 Caprylyl Ether, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance


I want to highlight several ingredients in this shampoo. First are disodium laureth sulfosuccinate and cocamide MEA. They are excellent cleansing agents with mild foaming ability but good cleansing ability, is resistant to hard water, can be easily rinsed off, provides good smoothness to the hair without the heavy silicones and is biodegradable. Definitely suits the eco-friendly image of Innisfree. These are the cleansing agents that keep my itchiness at bay and take care of my sensitive scalp.

There are tonnes of moisturizers in here. For instance, hyaluronic acid, xylitol, sorbitol, prunus mume fruit extract, lotus flower extract, glycerin, propanediol and so on. Not wonder it is claimed for dry hair (and scalp).

But what really caught my eyes are the AHA and BHA in here. AHA is a surface exfoliator to get rid of dead skin cells, which I believe is the reason that reduces my dryness-related dandruff whereas BHA works from the inside to deeply exfoliate and kick out hidden wastes and dirts. An ingredient normally used in skincare for acne-prone skin to dissolve blackheads and deep cleanse the skin chemically. So its presence in this shampoo seems like a scalp detox for me. 


CONCLUSION

I love this shampoo. It is a gentle, berries-smelling, non-greasy, and easily rinsed shampoo without harsh chemicals for my hair. Of course, it has the downsides of being slightly pricey (RM 50-60 for 400ml compared to RM 30-40 for Ryoe and RM 10-20 for most local drugstore brands shampoos) and not easily accessible. Other than that, it is the perfect shampoo to calm and soothe my sensitive, easily-irritated, dry, flaky and itchy scalp. It hydrates and exfoliates my scalp quite well in the sense that it stops producing a lot of dandruff (flaky dead skin cells), which is something I don't find in most other shampoos.

Definitely will continue using it until I have found a better one or this has been discontinued!


About: hair shampoo
Best suited for: normal to dry scalp; sensitive, flaky and itchy scalp due to dryness
May not suit: individuals with fungus infection and/or other medical condition on the scalp

packaging: ★★★★
scent: ★★★
texture: ★★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★★☆
efficacy: ★★★★
overall impression: ★★★★☆ (holy grail but it is still a bit pricey for daily uses)

You can get this from: Testerkorea
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...