2 Nov 2016

Review: Innisfree Jeju Lava Seawater VIP Kit


Some of you guys have been asking me to do a review on this after I shared it on my Instagram, so here is it!


Innisfree Jeju Lava Seawater line was launched in Korea in April but only came to Malaysia in October.

It was uber popular among the Korean community when it was firstly launched. A lot of people was talking about getting it somehow. I held back despite the temptation because I had tried the Jeju Sparkling line and was not sure how would it differ from the Jeju Sparkling line. I've had a lot of products and didn't want to risk myself on products with unknown texture unless it came to Malaysia where I can touch and feel.



I had this chance to claim a VIP Kit from Innisfree Malaysia last month and was really excited about it! And after trying them out for a few weeks, I can dare say that these are different from the Jeju Sparkling line and is something I want to purchase the full size products.


Basically, the Jeju Lava Seawater line is an anti-aging (or aging-prevention) and hydrating line made of lava seawater harvested from the east side of Jeju Island. The lava seawater is found to have skin revitalizing, collagen-boosting and anti-oxidizing properties due to a centuries old filtration process that occurs on the porous basalt of the Jeju Island. I am not sure how the science works, but I am sold on the idea of putting seawater from the beautiful Jeju Island filtered by the one of the most natural water filters you can possibly find on earth on my skin.



Innisfree Jeju Lava Seawater Skin 200ml / RM 94


This is a watery toner, commonly referred to as "skin" in Korea. There is another "Ampoule Skin" for drier skin types but this particular one works great for all skin type. As you can see, the texture is very watery, and it feels exactly like water if not for its pleasant herbal scent. You use this right after cleansing and before a treatment. Since it is very watery and hydrating, it works well in prepping your skin for better skincare absorption as well.

There isn't any harmful ingredients in this toner. Main ingredient is the magical sea water, and the rest are plant extracts commonly found in most Innisfree products like tangerine peel, orchid, camellia, green tea, and cactus. Except for cactus, most of these extracts have their respective skincare line in Innisfree targetting different skincare needs like brightening, pores-controlling, anti-aging, moisturizing, and anti-oxidizing. So even if the seawater isn't as magical as it claims, you still get loads of Jeju benefits from this bottle. You can find the full ingredients list here as I don't want to include it here to avoid making this a lengthy review.

Innisfree Jeju Lava Seawater Lotion 160ml / RM 94


This is a lotion-type moisturizer. Another product that never "disappoints". It reaffirms my thought that except for the Green Tea Balancing Lotion, I will never appreciate any other Innisfree lotion, although this one isn't as disgusting as the Jeju Sparkling Mineral Lotion. Actually, I have no idea why I have a general distaste for most lotion-type moisturizer, maybe the nightmare started from my first bottle of Hada Labo Hydrating Milk and grew through the very unpleasant Aqualabel  Moisture Emulsion. I just dislike lotion-type moisturizer in general.

But to be fair, this lotion is considered fairly light-weighted. Although I still find it greasy when I apply it on my face, but it drunk well by my drier body parts especially knees and legs. It is a product that will leave a moisture layer on your skin that you will not feel or touch, but the protection is there.

There is a lot of texture ingredients like emollients, emulsifiers, surfactants and so on in here, but most of them are non-acne-triggering or irritating for your skin. There may look like a lot of red marks but these ingredients are actually pretty common in most other lotion-type moisturizers so unless if you are sensitive to any of these, there is no reason to avoid. Plant extracts used here are just about the same as the toner/skin we talked previously, except that this has shea butter and vegetable oil to add nourishment to your skin.

Innisfree Jeju Lava Seawater Essence 50ml / RM 125
Innisfree Jeju Lava Seawater Deep Essence 50ml / RM 125


I did a full review on the Essence so it would be more practical to do a comparison on both the deep essence and normal essence.

As you can see, both products are still considered light-weighted but the normal essence looks really watery and refreshing whereas the deep essence offers a tad bit of moisture to the skin. While the normal essence sinks into the skin without leaving a trace, the deep essence leaves a visible shiny moisture film on the skin surface.

Ingredients for both products are similar as well, except that the deep essence contains more nourishing and moisturizing ingredients like squalane, ceramide, cholesterol, mannitol and so on. It also has more emollients and viscosity-controllers like corn starch. Other plant extracts remain highly similar to the toner and lotion, with the addition of yarrow extract which is great at antioxidizing, moisturizing and firming up the skin.

Innisfree Jeju Lava Seawater Cream 50ml / RM 125


Finally come the Jeju Lava Seawater Cream, which is a hydrating and moisturizing gel cream with ceramide capsules inside. I think it would be better if they put the ceramide in capsules rather than trying to dissolve it in the cream to reduce the "creaminess" and "greasiness". 

Actually, there isn't any vow factor except for the better-than-expected gel cream texture that not too heavy nor light. Most Innisfree creams are too heavy for me. I even find the Green Tea Seed Cream a bit heavy for daily uses ever since my skin is optimized after commiting myself to a full skincare routine. Having said that, this cream has a delightful texture that I would consider buying the full size after I finish this.

But if I were to compare it to my holy grail moisturizers like the Belif Aqua Bomb, then it is definitely nowhere near the "hydrating and moisturizing miracle effect" that the Belif one provides, nor is it as nicely formulated as the Belif Moisturizing Bomb. I wouldn't even say that this is better than the Laneige Water Bank Gel Cream or Primera Alpine Berry Water Cream. Anyhow, I think I will still give it more tries to decide if I want to purchase the full size. And if I did, I will make sure to do a full review to share my thoughts on it with you guys.

Final Thoughts


Actually, the whole line is pretty decent, featuring the unique Jeju Lava Seawater and anti-oxidizing benefits. The only downside would be the price, which is about RM 100 (RM 80 - RM 125) for the range, moving Innisfree away from lower-middle skincare range. The whole range is about the same price as the Laneige Water Bank I can find online. Of course, I know the official price for Laneige Water Bank is higher (RM 150-185) but I am just saying that Innisfree products are indeed getting pricier with each of their new releases. The recently launched Black Tea line is about KRW 28,000 - 35,000 (RM 100-150) and the cheaper Superfood line is not sold overseas. Considering the first product we bought from Innisfree store, the Green Tea line is only somewhere around RM 50-60, you will know what I mean. But, since this is an anti-aging range, it may justify the higher prices.

I think this range works best for younger people (20s-30s) looking to hydrate, moisturize and delay aging. But those already with wrinkles and fine lines should not expect this to un-wrinkle or tick the clock back. Overall a nicely scented, nicely formulated and nice textured range. I have purchased the Jeju Lava Seawater Essence and might purchase the Ampoule Skin and Seawater Cream.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...