23 Nov 2016

Review: Belif UV Protector Fresh Sunscreen SPF50+ PA+++


Most of you probably know that I am a big fan of Belif products. And a lot of you might notice that I review about sunscreens a lot. In fact, sunscreen is a skincare product I finish the quickest compared to the rest. So you can guess how excited I was when I finally get to open this bottle of Belif Fresh Sunscreen! I mean, what's more exciting and intriguing than trying out a sunscreen product from my favourite brand? Maybe I will find my soulmate here!



Belif products have simple but practical packaging. They may not look cute, colourful, pretty or eco-friendly, but there is a level of confidence and calm here. They know that even without fancy packaging and celebrity endorsement, they will still attract a lot of fans. Something uniquely Belif.

From the packaging, you'll know that this is a high sun protection factor (SPF) sunscreen with a light and refreshing texture. It also contains Napier's ultra moisture control herb complex for normal to dry skin.


I would strongly recommend that you shake it prior to using especially if you are not using it everyday as water and oil separation may occur. It occurs to me! As you can see, the sunscreen has a pretty light-weighted gel-lotion type consistency and feels really moisturizing on the skin. It will leave a slight tacky finish that will go away in 30 minutes to 1 hour. No white cast.


Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonic Acid, Dipropylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Tromethamine, Titanium Dioxide, Glycerin, Isoamyl P-Methoxycinnamate, Cetyl Phosphate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Lactobacillus/Soybean Ferment Extract, Glyceryl Stearate, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract*, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract*, Nepeta Cataria Extract*, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Leaf Extract*, Baptisia Tinctoria Root Extract*, Stellaria Media (Chickweed) Extract*, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Extract, Corchorus Olitorius Leaf Extract, Saccharomyces/Potato Extract Ferment Filtrate, Saccharomyces/Barley Seed Ferment Filtrate, Squalane, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Ceramide 3, Hexyl Laurate, PEG-100 Stearate, PEG-10 Dimethione, PEG-10 Rapeseed Sterol, Methicone, Carbomer, Phytosteryl/Octyldodecyl Lauroyl Glutamate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, C14-22 Alcoholds, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C14-28 Alkyl Acid, Xanthan Gum, Triethylhexanoin, Arachidyl Glucoside, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Trisodium EDTA, Cholesterol, Dimethicone, Triethanolamine, Alumina, Silica, Fragrance+, Citral, Citronellol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool

*Napiers Original Formula
*Fragrances Of Natural Origin

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS

Like most Belif products, this one is also loaded with tonnes of botanical extracts and texture ingredients (...surfactants, emollients, emulsifiers, solvents and viscosity controls). At RM 99 per 30ml, you will want more good stuffs in your products.

Underlined are sun actives or filters. We have octinoxate, phenylbenzimidazole sulfonic acid, titanium dioxide, amiloxate, tinosorb S, and uvinul A plus. Octinoxate is a pretty commonly found sun active in most sunscreen. It offers excellent UVB protection, is not water soluble (more sweat resistance) and is FDA approved. However, there is also concern about its ability to penetrate human skin hence the lower safety rating. Phenylbenzimidazole sulfonic acid is another great UVB active that can stabilizes octinoxate. It is also lighter and non-greasy in texture. Titanium dioxide is a super popular physical sun active which offers ample UVA protection and prevents UVA-related aging and dark spots. I love having titanium dioxide in my sunscreen. And then we have tinosorb S and uvinul A plus to offer a better UVA protection to compliment titanium dioxide. It seems that this sunscreen provides an extensive and complete sun protection, given that you apply the right amount (1/4 teaspoon).

But 1/4 teaspoon also means that you'll finish this RM 99 sunscreen within a month... can you hear your wallet crying?

Of course, you get more than just SPF and PA. You also enjoy extracts of oat kernel, panthenol, calendula flower, catnip, raspberry leaf, wild indigo, chickweed, witch hazel and so on moisturizing, anti-oxidizing and soothing ingredients you find in most Belif products. And then we have a blend of jasmine flower extract, jute leaf, fermented potato, fermented barley seed, squalane, macadamia seed oil, shea butter, and ceramide uniquely for the Fresh sunscreen. A lot of these are nourishing and moisturizing ingredients to offer ample moisture protection for the skin.

In short, a great moisturizing sunscreen with light-weighted but not really refreshing texture for normal/combination to dry skin. More suitable for those with higher budget on sun products.


CONCLUSION

I think it comes down to whether or not I'm willing to fork out RM 99 or USD 20-25 on a UV product that will only last me for 30 days?

This sunscreen is from my favourite brand, but is far from being my favourites. It is not hydrating enough, nor is it refreshing when you apply it on your skin. The texture is on the heavier side making it hard to get absorbed without any tackiness. And the smell is pretty odd as well, like some kind of plastic or something.

Texture is the most important factor I look for while judging whether or not a sunscreen is good. I mean, everyone can buy a high SPF sunscreen and then paint their face with thick white paste like Japanese geisha, but that's not what I'm looking for in mine. A good sunscreen doesn't only need to be high in SPF, but it also must be light-weighted enough when you apply 1/4 tbsp. I don't want to start my day putting on great skincare but finish it off with some thick, sticky and weird-smelling sunscreen. So... Belif Fresh Sunscreen fails in term of texture. It is just not hydrating, moisturizing, good-smelling, light-weighted, and refreshing enough for my liking.

I guess I will just stick to my favourite BioreAMPMKose Sekkisei Sun Protect Essence Gel and Hada Labo UV Perfect Gel. And among them, AMPM and Biore are well below RM 40 for 50ml, whereas Kose and Hada Labo is twice more expensive but also with twice the volume. There is one that I really like - Kiehl's Ultra-Light Daily UV Defense at RM 210 for 60ml but I am not using that one every single day so less kill in the wallet.

But price is not the factor I reject this Belif sunscreen. I just dont like its texture. Even if it is below RM 50 I am still not gonna want it back on my face. I have signed my divorce paper with it.


Of course, this doesn't mean the end of the world for all Belif sunscreen. I am interested in the Daily Sunscreen Gel and my mom just bought the Almighty Sun Powder. Besides, my mom has been using this Fresh Sunscreen for a few months now and she really loves it. Of course, she never applies sufficient amount of it to feel the tackiness I describe here. I always tell her to apply more but she seems more comfortable with just a pearl size amount so I just let her be then.

These are all I want to say about this Belif Fresh Sunscreen. A gentle reminder though: what I don't like may be the apple in your eyes. So do keep trying until you find your One! Good luck!


About: sunscreen
Purpose: moisturizing, sun protection, makeup base
Pros: somewhat moisturizing, has good ingredients, broad-spectrum sun protection, good as a makeup base
Cons: expensive, weird-smelling, tacky finish, not refreshing, not hydrating

packaging: ★★★
scent: 
texture: ★★★
ingredients: ★★★★
efficacy: ★★★ (not hydrating enough)
overall impression: ★★ (pretty meh... wouldn't repurchase)

You can get this from: Belif Malaysia | GoShop | Koreadepart | Gemfive
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...