20 Nov 2016

A Comparison Review of 11 Facial Mists I used

You guys know I am a slow writer, and it may take a few days for me to write a really detailed product reviews, hence I don't feel like doing the same for facial mists, which are often time more or less the same kind of product. Putting them together in one post also allows you guys to better compare them.

To begin with, facial mist is a watery spray that used to replenish, rehydrate, and refresh your skin throughout the day. For that reason, they are always designed to be light, portable and convenient. I've used several mists in the past, and they somehow feel the same, with minor differences in packaging, scent and efficacy. It's fairly hard to tell which facial mists is more hydrating, soothing or refreshing than others, as these are just some temporarily moisture fix for your skin. You'll need to look for hydrating serum to find permanent solution to your dry or dehydrated skin issues.

Normally I use facial mist whenever my skin is producing oil, feeling dry or hot. It will effectively calm, cool, refresh and hydrate my skin to stop signs of irritation and unhealthiness the skin produces. Regardless, it is not meant to replace my hydrating toner, serum or cream. I still need to use those to keep my skin at its optimal level. If you are still confused, just think of mist like a skincare supplement or temporary booster.


Let's go through some of the facial mists I've used in the past:

Etude House Mineral Bottle Facial Mist 
(KRW 10,500 / 90ml)


Water, Onsen-Sui, Propanediol, Dipropylene Glycol, Glycerin, Ethanol, Pentylene Glycol, Centella Asiatica Extract, Ficus Carica (Fig) Fruit Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Pueraria Mirifica Root Extract, Licorice Extract, Paeonia Lactiflora Bark/Sap Extract, Cnidium Officinale Root Extract, Ulmus Davidiana Root Extract, Actinidia Chinensis (Kiwi) Fruit Extract, Soluble Collagen, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Hyaluronate, Bis-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, PEG/PPG-17/6 Copolymer, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Tromethamine, Betaine, Butylene Glycol, Inositol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ceteth-3, Steareth-20, Triethylhexanoin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ceramide-3, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol [CosDNA Analysis]

This ought to be among my top 3, which is flattering since I normally don't have high expectations on Etude House skincare. The product looks super cute though, with its chubby round blue bottle that looks like aerosol can but is in reality a mist bottle. You can peak through the content and see how much is left after each use. And I must say that I'm horrified to find that the water level inside goes down by a lot after several uses. I think within 15-20 uses it will reach the bottom.

As for the effectiveness, this mineral mist is super cooling, refreshing and hydrating especially for summer time. It smells slightly cottony or powdery, odd but not unpleasant. I would say that among all facial mists I've tried, this ranks highly in terms of cooling, refreshing and hydrating effects. There are a lot of hydrating, soothing, and anti-oxidizing ingredients packed in this bottle too, making it a wonderful spa experience for normal to dry skin during summer.

Goodal Super Seed Oil Plus Skin Mist
(RM 84.70 / 148ml)



Water, Butylene Glycol, Triethylhexanoin, Hydrogenated C6-14 Olefin Polymers, Niacinamide, Pentylene Glycol, Phellinus Linteus Extract, Arctium Lappa Root Extract, Piper Methysticum Leaf/Root/Steam Extract, Morinda Citrifolia Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Paeonia Lactiflora Root Extract, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Monascus Extract, Angelica Gigas Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract, Perilla Ocymoides Leaf Extract, Borago Officinalis Extract, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Camelia Japonica Seed Oil, Macadamia Integrifolia Seed Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Pogostemon Cablin Oil, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-10 Myristate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Cellulose Gum. Panthenol, Folic Acid, Ceramide 3, Cholesterol, Raffinose, Tromethamine, Palmitoyl Pentapeptide-4, Phenoxyethanol [CosDNA Analysis]

This is a lovely, herbal-scented, refreshing and hydrating facial mist made of a rich blend of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and moisturizing ingredients. I'm particularly delighted at the presence of niacinamide, ling zhi, cactus, centella asiatica, calendula flower, olive oil, jojoba seed oil and so on as they have always worked well to soothe, moisturize and brighten my skin.

Actually I learned about this mist by accident. I was hanging around Watsons Sunway Pyramid at that time when I found this babe. I did not hesitate to give it some tries since I know about Goodal quite some time ago and was really impressed at just a few spritzes. And then... I ended up ordering a pack of two of these from their official website when I got home.

What I really like about this facial mist is its scent. It has a subtle, lemonic, herbal scent that reminds me very much of Belif. A lot of fragrance oil you see near the bottom of the ingredients list serve aromatheraputical purpose as well. And don't get me wrong, this mist is also really refined and refreshing. Most importantly, it adds a soft glow onto my face (which I attribute to the oil content) that makes me look super gorgeous even with bare face. Love it, and will definitely repurchase.

Innisfree Jeju Sparkling Mineral Mist
(RM 52 / 80ml)


Onsen-Sui(90.0%), Propanediol, Dipropylene Glycol, Citrus Unshiu Peel Extract, Orchid Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Camellia Japonica Leaf Extract, Opuntia Coccinellif.Era Fruit Extract, Peg-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance

Although I really enjoy the Innisfree Jeju Sparkling Mineral Essence from the same line, I don't like this as much as the Essence. Like the Essence, the mist is made of a whopping 90% of spring water, which I attribute to be the "magical hydrating and brightening powerhouse" behind the Essence. However, I don't find the same effects from this mist. Rather, it feels kinda meh.

As you can see, the packaging looks elegant like most other Innisfree products. It produces highly refined mist unlike many facial mists which feel just like splashing water on your face. But... it is sooo refined that I can barely feel its presence on my skin. In other words, I might get some hydrating properties from this mist but definitely not refreshing or cooling like most other mists. I also need to pump harder to actually feel it on my skin. A big disappointment given how refreshing and cooling the Essence is.

Final note: I don't enjoy this mineral mist and find it quite a waste of my money but I think people putting on powdery makeup may find this hydrating mist awesome and practical.

Innisfree Green Tea Mineral Mist
(RM 57 / Innisfree Malaysia)


Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Camella Japonica Leaf Extract, Orchid Extract, Opunita Coccinellifera Fruit Extract, Citrus Unshiu Peel Extract, Betaine, Dl-Pantheniol, Propanediol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Bis-Peg-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Peg-60 Hydronated Castor Oil, Disodium Edta, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance

Here comes another Innisfree mist that I like better - the Green Tea Mineral Mist. I find this more hydrating, smell better, refreshing and soothing compared to the Jeju Sparkling one. If I must say, this would be a green tea scented and more refreshing version of Avene Thermal Spring Water. It comes in 3 sizes so that you can pick the one that conveniences or meets your need the most. Since I mostly use this at home or in the office, I pick the biggest size one which is also the cheapest among the others. This may not be my favourite mist, but despite something I enjoy having on my skin throughout the day and will likely repurchase in the future.

Avene Thermal Spring Water
(RM 49 / 150ml)



I cannot find proper ingredients list for this Thermal Spring Water but I believe that it is mostly made of Spring Water. I get to know this Avene Spring Water through a friend of mine who is suffering from extremely sensitive and inflamed skin. She uses this as toner most of the time and find it really helpful at calming down, soothing and hydrating her skin. I tried a bottle after her recommendation and somehow find it kinda meh. Apart from feeling like water on my face, I don't find this Spring Water helpful in any way. It doesn't hydrate well, nor can it soothe my skin when it is irritated or dehydrated. It is just a huge bottle of multipurpose watery mist that I don't find special or helpful at all. I even find the Bio-Essence Bio Energy Water a much hydrating option compared to this.

Bio-Essence Miracle Bio Water
(RM 32.90 / 100ml)


image courtesy of Guardian Malaysia
As shared in my previous review, this Bio Essence Miracle Bio Water is a rather boring and ineffective hydrating mist without any special functions it claims. I didn't notice any firming, lasting, and soothing effects after finished using 3 big bottles of it (3 x 300ml). Definitely something I won't repurchase unless if I want a sanitized watery mist in the future. But if you ask me how do I like it compared to Avene Thermal Spring Water, I would say that this is a tad more hydrating and refreshing compared to the Avene one. But Avene is a little bit more soothing, although not soothing enough for my skin when it is unhealthy or dehydrated. And I am not ready to fork out some RM 30-40 for a bottle of 300ml worth of watery mist that doesn't do much to my skin except for some refreshing spritzes.

Nature Republic Aloe Vera 92% Soothing Gel Mist
(RM 19 / 150ml)



I bought this product a long, long time ago when I hadn't learned to take nice shots of my skincare products and didn't make a habit of writing down ingredients list of products I had. Anyone who is interested in learning more about the ingredients can check this link out.

I recalled buying this for my boy friend who is suffering from dehydrated-oily skin and wanted something light-weighted yet soothing to control sebum production on his skin. This is by far one of the cheapest options I can find for the quality offered - refreshing, mild, hydrating and soothing. Comes in a convenient bottle mist, this Aloe Vera Soothing Mist is nice-smelling, hydrating and soothing on the skin. However, it doesn't hydrate his skin or regulate his sebum production he hopes to get from this product hence he did not repurchase after he finished it. Students or people on their budget should definitely check this out as a convenient, nice-smelling, soothing and hydrating mist.

Hera Cell Essence Mist


I got this as a gift with purchase from my Hera Cell Essence haul. Technically, this should not be considered a mist as it contains Hera Cell Essence, which is a treatment essence. But since it is in a mist format, I thought it would be helpful to include it here just to give you guys a simple understanding of how it feels like in a mist format.

I know some people propose putting expensive essences like SK-II Pitera Essence and Hera Cell Essence in a mist bottle so that you don't have to waste it on a cotton pad or be absorbed by your palm. However, I personally find that putting these treatment essences in a mist bottle doesn't make it as effective as using it on a cotton pad or your bare hand. I don't know the science behind it but I am guessing that water molecules produced from a mist bottle tends to be really thin and will "escape" to the surrounding when it comes out as mist. They are so thin that they won't penetrate your skin well enough compared to pouring them on your hand or on a cotton pad so that you can gentle press and force feed them onto your face. Just my 2 per cent thought. You can always find the method that works best for you.

PS: This Hera Cell Essence Mist is not hydrating or refreshing at all. They don't work well as a mist so I mostly use them after a toner as a treatment essence. Just so you know.

Laneige Water Bank Mineral Mist
(KRW 12,000 / 120ml)



Water, Butylene Glycol, Trehalose, Betaine, 1, 2-Hexanediol, Carum Petroselinum (Parsley) Extract, Lippia Citriodora Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Glacier Water, Salicornia Herbacea Extract, Natto Gum, Beta-Glucan, Althaea Officinalis Root Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Propanediol, Glycerin, Sucrose, Serine, Arginine, Mannitol, PCA, Citrulline, Glycogen, Histidine HCl, Threonine, Alanine, Lysine HCL, Glutamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Calcium Pantetheine Sulfonate, Silica, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Octyldodeceth-16, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Fragrance

This is my favourite facial mist in 2015 and will most likely be the campaign in the category again this year. It is an extension to Laneige's famous Water Bank line and contains really delicious antioxidizing, soothing and moisturizing ingredients like parsley extract, green tea, glacier water, beta glucan, althaea, centella asiatica, aloe vera extract and so on. The normal version comes in 120ml but there are also mini 30ml ones which I prefer. They look super cute and adorable in mini sizes as well! As for effective, I must say that they are by far the best in terms of hydrating, moisturizing, refreshing and soothing compared to others one I've tried. They are not as cooling as the Etude House Mineral Bottle, and the mist these mini ones produce is less refined, but its super hydrating and refreshing properties make this Laneige mist my favourite so far.


The Face Shop Chia Seed Soothing Mist Toner 170ml



Salvia Hispanica Seed Extract, Betaine, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Trehalose, Butylene Glycol, Phaseolus, Radiatus Extract, Betula Platyphylla, Japonica Bark Extract, Rumex Crispus Root Extract, Saccharide Isomerate, Natto Gum, Chlorphenesin, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Panthenol, Phenoxyethanol, Peg-60 Hydrogenated, Castor Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Disodium Edta, Parfum/Fragrance

I have talked about this Chia Seed Soothing Mist Toner before, so I'm not gonna elaborate further on it. Basically, this soothing mist toner inherits the moisture-holding and anti-inflammatory properties of chia seed where it is extremely moisturizing and soothing for the skin. Although it is called a mist toner, I think it works well as a mist as well since it is super moisturizing with really refreshing scent. It works, in my opinion, much better than Avene Thermal Spring Water in soothing and moisturizing my skin dehydrated and irritated due to all the air-conditioning in my office.

Whamisa Organic Flowers Damask Rose Petal Mist
(RM 169 / 80ml)



*Aloe Maculata Leaf Extract, Rosa Damascena Flower, Caulerpa Lentillifera Extract, *Alcohol ,*Rosa Damascena Flower Extract, *Helichrysum Arenarium Flower Extract, *Lactobacillus/Chrysanthemum Sinense Flower Ferment Filtrate,*Lactobacillus/Nelumbium Speciosum Flower ferment Filtrate, *Lactobacillus/Dandelion Leaf/Root Extract Ferment Filtrate, Bellis Perennis (Daisy) Flower Extract, Magnolia Kobus Flower Extract, Lilium Tigrinum Extract, Iris Versicolor Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Rosa Rugosa Flower Extract, *Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Flower Extract, **Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, **Paeonia Suffruticosa Root Extract, **Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract Licorice, ***Propanediol , Natto Gum, Xanthan Gum, Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba (Guar) Gum, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil

*Certified Organically Grown **Natural Preservative ***

Actually, this may be the only Whamisa product I enjoy out of all four I bought as shared previously. Whamisa claims to be a super vegen organic brand certified ECO by Germany and France. All of its products are made of organically grown ingredients undergoing nutritive double fermentation process. For that reason, they also tend to expire really fast (18-24 months from manufacturing).

I have bought 4 Whamisa products from my last visit to Whamisa grand opening in Da:Men Subang Jaya but was frustrated to realize that the texture of three of its products failed me badly. The Deep Rich Essence Toner was too nourishing and thick to be absorbed by my skin. Even the Original Essence Toner was a bit on the thicker side for my normal to dry skin. They always leave a rather tacky finish on my face that sort of blocks other skincare from getting along well with it. As for its Organic Flowers Watery Cream made of natto gum, it smells lovely but is too greasy and creamy for my liking. My skin becomes oily, not hydrated or plump several hours after using it. My colleagues with combination-oily skin finds her face bathing in sebum after just 30 minutes!

This Whamisa Damask Rose Petal Mist is a pleasant exception. Although it is waterless, it looks and feels like water without any heaviness or stickiness. I was worried that it would be as thick as its Deep Rich Toner or Watery Cream but turned out that it is rather light-weighted. The Rose Petal Mist also looks really cute with loads of rose petal floating inside. The visual effects itself is already relaxing and soothing. And I would say that this produces the finest mist among all other ones I have. The mist still comes out really refined but you can clearly see a layer of watery mist spreads evenly on your skin after one or two spritz, unlike Innisfree Jeju Sparkling, Hera Cell Essence Mist with really refined mist that feels barely visible on the skin.

As for effectiveness, I find it a little bit itchy on my skin not sure why in addition to its hydrating and soothing effects. In fact, I find most Whamisa products tend to be a little bit itchy on my face. However, given the quality of its packaging and ingredients, I definitely think that this is something worth trying out for yourself.

COMPARISON

Hydrating (high > low): Laneige > Etude House > Whamisa = Goodal = The Face Shop > Innisfree Green Tea = Nature Republic > Innisfree Jeju Sparkling > Bio-Essence > Avene > Hera

Soothing (high > low): The Face Shop > Goodal > Laneige = Etude House = Innisfree Green Tea = Avene > Nature Republic = Whamisa > Bio-Essence > Innisfree Jeju Sparkling > Hera

Mistiness (refined > watery): Innisfree Jeju Sparkling > Innisfree Green Tea = Avene = Bio-Essence > Whamisa > Goodal = The Face Shop > Hera > Nature Republic > Laneige

Have repurchased: Laneige, Goodal

Will repurchase: Etude House, Innisfree Green Tea

Favourite (most > least): Laneige > Etude House > Goodal > Whamisa > Innisfree Green Tea > The Face Shop > Bio-Essence > Avene > Innisfree Jeju Sparkling > Nature Republic > Hera
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...