30 Oct 2016

Sheet Mask Review Episode 6: July, August and September 2016 Facial Mask Collection

Time flies fast, it is already the 6th mask episode since my first in November last year. As I am catching up with tonnes of other things, my passion on sheet mask slowly fades and I only have 19 sheet masks to share with you guys this July, August and September months. As always, they will include a brief description of their purposes, and a simple review on the materials used, scent, performance and my final thoughts on each.

You can also check out my sheet mask 101 here!

Here is a full list of all masks I used in July, August and September of 2016:

  • A'pieu Aqua Peeling Cotton Swab ☆
  • Aritaum Fresh Power Essence Mask #Honey ★★★☆
  • B.liv Glow & Glory Skin Reviving Biological Mask ★ 
  • B.liv Ultimate Aqua Surge Leach Me Moisturizing Mask ★★★☆
  • Etude House Lotus Soothing & Purifying 0.2 Therapy Air Mask ★★★★
  • Freeset Donkey Milk Skin Gel Mask #Aqua ★★★★☆
  • J.One Jelly Pack Luminous 2-Step Mask ★★★★
  • Jayjun Refine to Shine Vita Snow Mask Pack ★★★★
  • L’herboflore Lavender Moisturizing Mask ★★★★
  • Lovemore Loofah & Aloe Vera Hydrating Mask ★★★
  • My Beauty Diary Imperial Bird’s Nest Mask ★★★☆
  • Papa Recipe Bombee Honey Mask ★★★★☆
  • Primary Raw DoYou 2-Step Facial Therapy Milk Peeling Kit ★★★☆
  • REME+G Home Peeling 3-Step Kit #Aqua ★★★★
  • The Face Shop Real Nature Face Mask #Lotus Hydrating ★★☆
  • The Face Shop The Solution Hydrating Face Mask #Hyaluronic Acid ★★★★☆
  • The Saem Express Beauty Milk Peel Cotton Swab ★★★★


A'pieu Aqua Peeling Cotton Swab


I have tried a lot of cotton swabs products, from cheaper KRW 1,000 to the more expensive KRW 5,000 one, and I must say that there is a HUGE difference between those. This KRW 1,000 (USD 0.3) A'pieu cotton swab is really something you just apply and don't expect anything from. It doesn't smell good, feels really irritating, and doesn't do much on your skin actually.

Just, expect nothing.

packaging: ☆
scent: ☆
material: ☆
wear: ☆
ingredients: ★★
finish: ☆
I will not repurchase.

Aritaum Fresh Power Essence Mask #Honey


I always do love Aritaum mask, as much as I enjoy Innisfree It’s Real Squeeze mask line, although I can’t really tell the difference between the two. They are both good, has high quality to cost ratio and is made of silky soft material and always leaves my skin plump and moisturized.

Today’s Aritaum mask comes in Honey flavor. In addition to its 20mg of honey extract, this mask also smells very much like fresh fermented honey. The material is a soft cotton that fits the skin perfectly and seamlessly. The mask dries up moderately, after about 20 minutes. It has clear, watery, non-viscous essence that gets absorbed quickly into the face. My skin is left plump without any tackiness.

This mask claims to be serving purposes like moisturizing and nourishing. And I think it did its job well without being overwhelming for the skin. As a result, my skin feels moist, saturated and soft to touch. Next day I also woke up with brightened, moisturized and radiant face. Pores and skin texture were seen improved as well.

packaging: ★★★☆
scent: ★★★★
material: ★★★☆
wear: ★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★
finish: ★★★☆
I am pleasantly surprised. Will be repurchasing!

B.liv Glow & Glory Skin Reviving Biological Mask


To be honest, I was pretty excited about this mask. It is the most expensive one out of all B.liv masks, priced at RM 16 and more each (USD 3-4). Hence, I had high expectations on it although its performance is worse than disappointing.

As you can see in the image above, although still retains its “sheet mask shape”, it leaves a lot of yucky, gluey residues inside the pocket. The mask also feels “wrong” on the face, as it is not hydrating or soothing at all. It feels like an empty sheet without any soul in it. I am not sure did this happen because of the failure of preservative, or high room temperature but this is the first time something like this happened to a no-where-close-to-expiry mask. Pretty upset.

This mask has fancy claims though. It is a “biological mask” (biocellulose, I suppose?) claims to hydrate, brighten, revitalize and firm up your skin. It contains ingredients like aloe vera extract, papaya extract (natural AHA), oat kernel extract, wild yam root extract, apple extract (natural AHA) and so on antioxidizing, exfoliating, and moisturizing ingredients. It also has arbutin to brighten up the skin and tackle hyperpigmentation. The down side of this mask is the presence of preservatives methylisothiazolinone and iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, which I have discussed many times in my previous mask episodes that is found to be harming for human body.

Anyhow, since the mask was in bad shape when I used it, I do not have any comments other than “disappointing and highly below-expectation”. It is a waste of money and I would definitely not be repurchasing.

Repurchasing?

packaging: ★★★
scent: ★
material: ★
wear: ★
ingredients: ★★★★
finish: ★
Not repurchasing to avoid further disappointment

B.liv Ultimate Aqua Surge Leach Me Moisturizing Mask


This is one of the pricier premium sheet mask line from Bliv. It is the “intensive treatment” mask offering deep moisturizing, brightening and age preventing properties. In fact, if you look at the ingredients, you can see that this carries a wide range of skin-benefiting ingredients like AHAs (lemon fruit extract, lactic acid, mandelic acid, acerola fruit extract etc.) as well as moisturizing ingredients (beta glucan, urea, algae, sodium PCA hyaluronic acid, and so on). My understanding is that they are trying to achieve that “younger, revitalized, plump and brighter complexion” through the blend of AHAs and moisturizing ingredients. It also contains a peptide acetyl hexapeptide-8 to serve as the purpose of wrinkles-reducing although effectiveness of peptides are generally debatable.

I have a rather pleasant experience with the product. The mask is made of Japanese silk, making it adhering seamlessly to the skin. It’s so thin that you will barely feel its presence yet can sense the injection of moisture into your skin. Due to the AHAs content, I can feel a 10 minutes long of tingling when I first slather it on my face, like mild itchiness here and there. And then the tingling is gone after I took off the mask without any redness or irritation observed. The mask doesn’t smell like anything, maybe just a mild breezy scent.

AHAs are always powerful when it comes to skin renewing, damage treating and skin brightening in skincare, but it may not always work well with sensitive skin, so sensitive skin is advised to patch test before putting it on your face. In addition, just 1 sheet of this intense treatment may not have enough impacts to see long-term results. Hence, unless if you combine with other AHA treatments you have, don’t expect miracle from this sheet mask.

And results-wise, this does leave my skin brighter, plumper and evener. I think it does work.

packaging: ★★
scent: ★★★
material: ★★★★
wear: ★★☆
ingredients: ★★★★
finish: ★★★★
It does work! Will repurchase.

Etude House Soothing & Purifying Lotus Air Therapy 0.2mm Mask


When Etude House upgraded their sheet mask line, I knew I had to get it. I mean, just look at it, don’t you agree that it looks absolutely gorgeous? Not to mention the 0.2mm ultra-thin material claim. And I was right. Bathing in this sheet mask feels heavenly. The mask itself is super thin and soft on the skin, allowing you to wear this when you are busy with your other housework. It will not glide off your face as it clings well on like your second skin. 

The mask is a soothing and purifying mask with lotus extract, licorice root extract, Japanese goldthread root extract, ginger root extract, green tea, hyaluronic acid, urea, beta-glucan and so on plant extracts with moisturizing, antioxidizing, and anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains some essential oils as preservative and fragrance since it doesn’t contain paraben, phenoxyethanol and artificial fragrance.

The mask has a clear, runny and non-sticky essence. It remains wet on my face even after 20 minutes. You’ll amazed by how well the paper-thin mask holds moisture. Another thing is that this mask doesn’t have any distinctive scent, which is good for most people who enjoy Kbeauty but is a bit turned off by overpowering cosmetic scent of Korean masks.

The result? My skin is cooled, plump, moist and comforted. 

packaging: ★★★★
scent: ★★★
material: ★★★★☆
wear: ★★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★★
finish: ★★★☆
Definitely but probably other flavours just to compare.

Freeset Donkey Milk Aqua Skin Gel Mask Pack


I’ve used this several times, and it never fails to impress me. This is a hydrogel mask with clear, runny, slightly viscous essence and a pleasant cosmetic-milky scent. The main purpose is light-weighted moisturizing. The cutting is pretty good, although it didn’t fit perfectly around the eyes. This mask gave me a burning sensation within the first 10 minutes when I put it on, since I just used The Saem Milk Peel Cotton Swab, a chemical exfoliating kit. However, the burning sensation is gone within 10 minutes. My skin is left cooled, plump and slightly radiant. I just like how great it feels on my skin. It is so moisturizing that I don’t need a moisturizer afterward.

This mask contains a lot of good ingredients, like donkey milk, honey, pear fruit extract, licorice root extract, multiflorum root extract, sesame seed, angelica root extract, shea butter, ceramide and so on moisturizing and anti-oxidizing ingredients. I think I can understand where the raves are coming from.

packaging: ★★★★☆
scent: ★★★★☆
material: ★★★★
wear: ★★★★
ingredients: ★★★★☆
finish: ★★★★☆
Yes! I will repurchase.

J.One Jelly Pack Luminous 2-Step Mask


J.One Jelly Pack was really popular, but I was always hesitated to get it since it looks really sticky and a lot of people backed off from its stickiness. So, I was excited to try this mask when it was launched. At about USD 2-3, I can try out the Jelly Pack and J.One mask without having to spend USD 16-20 to get the whole bottle that I might, or might not like. It turned out… I really dislike the jelly pack. It is super sticky like glue and it will stick to your face despite minutes of patting. Even after it is “absorbed”, I can still feel the stickiness on my face. Urgh. I don’t feel that it is grabbing makeup or sunscreen, more like grabbing dust and dirt in the air.

The mask is better. It is the “luminious” version meant for skin brightening and moisturizing. The mask itself is a black cotton, it adheres to the skin pretty well with clear, viscous essence. The mask doesn’t have a lot of essence, most of them dries up within 20-25 minutes. It smells like cotton, similar to the smell of the Hana Cream. The process is pretty comfortable. I woke up with brighter and luminous complexion and the effect lasts for 2 days.

However, at USD 2.78 per piece at Koreadepart, I think I wouldn’t repurchase. And I seriously dislike the stickiness associated with the Jelly Pack.

packaging: ★★★
scent: ★★★★
material: ★★★☆
wear: ★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★★
finish: ★★★★☆
I will purchase other flavours to compare with this!

Jayjun Refine to Shine Vita Snow Mask Pack


This is a premium mask line from Jayjun, each cost about RM 20 @ Hermo. In fact, you will know that this is a premium mask judging from its elegant packaging and the fact that it is a biocellulose mask. It comes in 3 layers so you’ll have to carefully tear it open to get the mask. I know some people often overlook the second layer and directly slap the mask AND the plastic on their faces, which ends in disaster as it won’t fit.

The mask claims that it can brighten, hydrate, refine and regenerate with its placenta extract but honestly I don’t see significant differences after using it. It is a decent moisturizing mask but I don’t notice clearer, brighter or firmer skin the next day. Guess I need to use more to tell.

packaging: ★★★★☆
scent: ★★★★☆
material: ★★★★★
wear: ★★★★
ingredients: N/A 
finish: ★★★
Will purchase 1 more to try.

L’herboflore Lavender Moisturizing Mask


I've talked about the L'herboflore masks before. They were pretty decent moisture-trapping and radiance-restoring masks, with really cute packaging, ultra-thin material and comfortable masking experience guaranteed. The only downside is that they contain the harmful preservative methylisothiazolinone and iodopropynyl butylcarbamate that might cause toxin accumulation in body organs. I think after I'm done with all my L'herboflore mask, I wouldn't consider repurchasing unless if they reformulate their masks.

This particular Lavender moisturizing one is meant for soothing, moisturizing, hydrating and texture refining. It also contains lavender essential oil to balance out sebum production on the skin. I don't have oily skin, I choose this flavour mainly because I like lavender scent and am attracted to its "moisturizing" claim. The mask uses high quality sheet just like the rest with clear, runny and non-viscous essence. It leaves my skin feeling soft, plump and smooth without any tackiness. My skin is also calmer, hydrated and visibly clearer. And yes... this does smell like good quality lavender essential oil which I thoroughly enjoy.

Ingredients-wise, this contains loads of extracts such as aloe vera, cucumber, chamomile, carrageenan, arginine, serine, hyaluronic acid, trehalose, and so on with mainly moisturizing and soothing properties. Lavender essential oil is a fragrance oil with relaxing and calming effects, but it might cause irritation for certain skin types so those sensitive to essential oil may need to patch test before using. 

packaging: ★★★★★
scent: ★★★★★
material: ★★★★★
wear: ★★★★
ingredients: ★★
finish: ★★★★
I might if they reformulate.

Lovemore Loofah & Aloe Vera Hydrating Mask


I’ve talked about this mask before, so I guess there is nothing more to elaborate about. Taiwanese masks are usually more or less the same. Similarly papery thin, similarly scented, similarly hydrating and similarly priced. 

This time, I don’t have a really pleasant experience with this loofah and aloe vera mask. I find the edges not fitting well, and the mask drying up pretty fast. It also gives me a weird burning sensation 20-30 minutes later, which is odd because this is not an exfoliating mask. The mask also leaves an unpleasant tacky finish after using.

As for the ingredients, this has the preservatives iodopropynyl butylcarbamate and methylisothiazolinone I usually warned you guys about in most masks. I think the burning sensation might even be associated with these ingredients. Other ingredients like trehalose, luffa extract, collagen, aloe vera extract and hyaluronic acid are just pretty commonly found in a lot of other Asian masks. In short, despite excited over its loofah and aloe vera combination, I don’t find this mask impressive or wonderful. Not a repurchase for me.

packaging: ★★★★☆
scent: ★★★
material: ★★★★☆
wear: ★
ingredients: ★★
finish: ★★☆
Not a repurchase.

My Beauty Diary Imperial Bird’s Nest Mask


I had a really good experience with this Imperial Bird's Nest mask before, but this one time it was rather so-so. I think it happens all the time. Whenever your skin isn't doing well, anything you put on it will work like magic. However, if your skin condition is optimized, then anything great will just feel so-so.

This mask is just like all other Taiwanese masks I've tried before. They have the same kind of scent, is papery thin, silky soft and feel very hydrating on the skin. Other than that, I don't see much difference. One thing to note though, this smells like fermented skincare with the fermented beer or sake kind of smell, so it gives me the confidence that this is somewhat better than the rest. And my previous experience with it does reveal that this is among the best ones compared to the rest of My Beauty Diary masks.

packaging: ★★★☆
scent: ★★★★
material: ★★★★
wear: ★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★★
finish: ★★★☆
Pretty decent. Would repurchase in the future.

Papa Recipe Bombee Honey Mask


This is one of the most famous sheet masks in Korea, along with Jayjun, SNP and Mediheal. It is made of honey and propolis extract to moisturize and nourish the skin. It also smells very much like honey!

The material used is silkier and softer than almost every other sheet masks I've tried. It even feels like it is made of honey. The entire 20 minutes of wearing this mask feels heavenly. Like you are swimming in a pool full of honey and propolis with a lot of sweet and hydrating stuffs rushing to fill and nourish every crack between your skin cells. Most importantly, it is not sticky at all and the mild tackiness it left fades when the essence is absorbed into your skin.

Ingredients-wise, this contains 1,000mg of honey extract and propolis extract. It also has a handful of moisturizing ingredients like trehalose, panthenol, arginine, allantoin, hyaluronic acid, omija extract, coptis extract, green tea, ginger root extract, acorus extract and so on. Omija, licorice and ginger root extracts are also found to have anti-hyperpigmentation properties for uneven skin tone and dark spots. This mask also doesn't contain any harmful preservatives and ingredients, which makes it great for sensitive and dry skin.

packaging: ★★★☆
scent: ★★★★
material: ★★★★☆
wear: ★★★★
ingredients: ★★★★★
finish: ★★★★☆
Lovely! Would repurchase again!

Primary Raw DoYou 2-Step Facial Therapy Milk Peeling Kit


I've shared my thoughts on this mask before, but this time I have a much better experience with it than last time, probably because my skin wasn't feeling well from all the work stress and sleep deprivation I am getting.

The mask itself is really nice. It comes in a cotton sheet soaked in milky essence. There is a big Q-tip with AHA to effectively remove dead skin cells and even out skin texture. You are supposed to use the Q-tip before the mask so that the essence is not lost during the peeling process --- cleansing before treating.

Since I have little bumps and acne going around due to hormonal imbalances and stress, I do notice clearer complexion and less breakouts after using this mask. The effects may not be as impressive as the SK-II Pitera Essence, but at least I'm seeing results.

Again, I think I wouldn't repurchase after I finish this since it is quite pricey. These are something I love to try out but won't commit to it in the long run. But so far all three I have left can probably last me for quite some time before I need to consider about repurchasing.

packaging: ★★★★☆
scent: ★★★☆
material: ★★★☆
wear: ★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★★★
finish: ★★★★☆
Might not repurchase given its price

REME+G Home Peeling 3-Step Kit #Aqua


I get to know this mask through Glow Recipe, where they introduce the concept of aqua peeling. This REME+G, as they claimed, is one of the earliest brand to come out with a sheet mask that combines the wonderful aqua peeling SPA experience you can get in Korea.

There are 3-steps in total. First, you use the Q-tip to slough off dead skin cells and dirts. And then you follow that up with a whitening serum to prep and brighten your skin before finishing it with a moisturizing and soothing sheet mask. You are advised to use this in the evening as AHA Q-tip (peeling swab) might cause your skin to be photosensitive so it is best to avoid the sunlight when you are using this.

Consistency-wise, the whitening serum is a potent, concentrated and fast-absorbing serum. It feels similar to Missha Borabit Ampoule but is better absorbing than the latter. As for the mask, it is a cotton-silk soaked in runny and slightly-viscous essence. The mask uses highly moisture-trapping material that ensures maximum moisture retention on the skin. My skin feels clearer, brighter, smoother and plumper after using all three steps! Also, despite the AHA content, this mask doesn't contain any funky smell. The AHA swab smells oceany, whitening serum smells like vitamin C whereas the mask smells like fermented fruit enzyme.

packaging: ★★
scent: ★★★☆
material: ★★★★★
wear: ★★★★
ingredients: ★★★★★
finish: ★★★★☆
Might repurchase during discount. Original price USD 6 is slightly on the expensive side.

The Face Shop Real Nature Face Mask #Lotus Hydrating


This is one of the best sheet masks at the same price range. It somehow changes my impression on The Face Shop products. Let's hope that Innisfree upgraded sheet mask will be as good, or even better than this. This sheet mask has the prettiest design ever, with a beautiful lotus flower printed on top. This mask claims that it serves the purpose of hydrating, moisturizing and revitalizing.

Like it sister products, this mask is made of slim cotton-silk drenched in "serum-in-oil". The serum is a non-viscous milky essence that is meant for nourishing and moisturizing. One down side about this lotus flavour is that, it dries up pretty fast compared to other flavours, and feels more papery and stiff compared to the rest. It also smells pretty odd, like it is deteriorated already although it still has a mild floral scent to it.

In term of performance, I don't find this mask to be particularly hydrating or moisturizing despite its claim. It leaves a mild tackiness that I won't label as moisturizing. Not sure is it because the mask has gone bad or it is just not very good in its own. Hence not a repurchase for me.

packaging: ★★★★
scent: ★★★
material: ★★★★
wear: ★★★
ingredients: ★★★★☆
finish: ★★☆
Not impressed. Will not repurchase this flavour.

The Face Shop The Solution Hydrating Face Mask #Hyaluronic Acid


Honestly, I really like this The Solution mask from The Face Shop. But if I were to compare it to Innisfree Skin Clinic Mask, I would favour the Innisfree one more.

This The Solution mask I got was the hydrating version. As you can see, it comes in a slim, silky soft cotton sheet that adheres perfectly to the skin. The essence is a watery, clear and non-sticky serum-type essence. The mask does smell perfumy but not on the unpleasant side so it is within an acceptable range. Like the Real Nature range, this mask doesn't contain any paraben, phenoxyethanol with only minimal ingredients used. Some good ones spotted are allantoin, hyaluronic acid and peony extract. Individuals sensitive to alcohol should patch test though since it contains alcohol denat.

In term of performance, this leaves my skin soft and plump as if I have applied a good layer of sleeping mask the night before. Definitely something I will repurchase!

packaging: ★★★★
scent: ★★★★
material: ★★★★☆
wear: ★★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★★★
finish: ★★★★☆
Love it, will repurchase!

The Saem Express Beauty Milk Peel Cotton Swab


This is in my opinion, far better than the A'pieu or It's Skin cotton swab. It is as good as the more expensive ones, but this one is around KRW 3,000 so it is not cheap either.

I paired this with the Freeset Donkey Milk Aqua sheet mask and is liking them both so far. While the milk peel gently sloughs off dead skin cells, the sheet mask offers loads of non-sticky moisture, pampering and soothing the skin while moisturizing it. Love the effects so far and is most likely to repurchase. The ingredients are also pretty nice with aloe vera extract, lactic acid (AHA), portulaca oleracea extract, wheat protein, soy protein and so on natural AHAs. I don't see any questionable ingredients but I would still advise those with sensitive skin to firstly patch test before using.

packaging: ★★★
scent: ★★★
material: ★★★☆
wear: ★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★★
finish: ★★★★
It is effective!


[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...