15 Jul 2016

Review: Secret Key Black Snail Original Cream


Have you ever come across any instances where everyone is raving about a specific ingredient, and then you are hooked because of your formidable curiously? Snail cream is one of these wallet-hurting trends that is still blowing wild now.

Few months ago, I came passed a vlog comparing different snail creams, with a few like It’s Skin, Namulife Snail White being mentioned. I had the It’s Skin one and was very pleased with the performance of it, hence when this vlog also recommending a black snail cream from Secret Key that was “pleasant” and “cheap”, I was sold.

I have tried some Secret Key products before, they were pretty decent at their prices especially their Starting Treatment Essence so I thought I wouldn't be wrong this time. Hence, I impulsively placed an order from Koreadepart to have the snail cream shipped to me. Let’s find out about the cream below!



The Secret Key Black Snail Original Cream comes in a pearly black, elegant yet simple packaging.  It is in a jar with a twisted-open cap. Not very hygienic this way but it doesn’t matter for me since I use spatula everytime.


This cream claims to contain secretion filtrate from black snail (okay, I got it, snail that is black in colour) that is said to be very moisturizing for the skin. It also claims to brighten, nourish and improve the skin’s elasticity.


The product smells…odd. I don’t know how to explain the not-so-pleasant smell it has, maybe plastic? I was expecting floral or at least cosmetic but unfortunately it doesn’t smell like any of those. If you have tried Namulife Snail White Cream before, it smells highly similar to the Snail White Cream.


The consistency is interesting. It certain looks like those gooey snail slime that is sticky and cloudy. However, it is not very sticky on your skin when you blend it out. It glides smoothly and then gets absorbed, almost like a serum than a cream. The downside is that it will leave a tacky finish on my skin that I don’t quite appreciate.


INGREDIENTS


INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS

This Black Snail Original Cream can be divided into 2 major components – the active ingredients and the texture stuffs. Okay, that’s pretty much what happens in all formulation, but in this cream, they seem to constitute half for each.

There is 45,000mg or 90% of black snail extract inside. Snail secretion filtrate is very popular in Asia as a repairing, hydrating, moisturizing, nourishing and lifting ingredient. This is attributable to the snail slime that is enriched with hyaluronic acid, glycoprotein enzymes, antimicrobial and copper peptides, proteoglycans (to stimulate collagen production) and so on.

credit

Not only snail secretion filtrate, this cream is also loaded with delicious ingredients like niacinamide (great ingredient that is good at brightening and anti-aging), olive oil (nutritive skin nourishing), shea butter, honey (smoothing and moisturizing), ginkgo biloba, date (improve blood circulation to the skin and repair sun damage), peony flower (anti hyperpigmentation), green tea (moisturizing and anti-oxidizing), ginseng (anti-aging) and so on. Honestly, I would just bath in this if I know nothing but its ingredients.

CONCLUSION

Ok, despite its elegant packaging, nice ingredients and interesting texture, I would not recommend this cream to anyone. I think this definitely does not worth your money or time even. I have been using this for at least 2 months, quite sparingly but consistently, but have not seen any improvement in my skin. It may hydrate but not enough to make the deeper part of my skin feeling soothed and filled. It is better if I just don’t use it. This feels like it is sitting on top of my skin and is not going any deeper. Something about its technology or formulation, maybe not the ingredients, is not sophisticated enough to deliver promising results. So, yeah, not something I would recommend but no harm trying if you are interested.

About: cream
Purpose: anti-aging, moisturizing, brightening
Suitable for: normal to dry
May not suit: acne-prone skin, sensitive skin, oily skin with easily clogged pores
Skincare Step: cleanser > toner > treatment > Secret Key Black Snail Original Cream

packaging: ★★★
scent: ★
texture: ★★
ingredients: ★★★
efficacy: ★★
overall impression: ★★ (something about its quality really turns me off)
smells like plastic, not performing, not hydrating enough as a cream, unpleasant to use

You can get this from: Qoo10 | RoseRoseShop | Koreadepart
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...