29 Jul 2016

Sheet Mask Review Episode 5: May and June 2016 Facial Mask Collection

I know that I have been so slacked off in my sheet masking routine recently. You know, things got tough. I had been busy with my work, organizing my skincare stashes, shopping for new stuffs, reading off other people's reviews and also selling off some unused gadgets. Anyway, all I was saying was that I had no time for sheet masking. I don't even keep my routine lengthy. Everything was short and quick and when I got to bed it was already 1AM without any more time for sheet mask.

So, yeah, let's us start with this rather short sheet mask mega post!

If you are interested in knowing more about sheet mask, you can visit my Q & A on sheet mask here.


  • Etude House Korean Ginseng Revitalizing & Nourishing Mask ★★★★☆
  • Illi Total Aging Care Ginseng Firming Mask ★☆
  • Innisfree It's Real Squeeze Mask #Blackberry ★★★★
  • L'herboflore Sweety Cocoa Moisturizing Mask ★★★☆
  • Mamonde Lotus Cooling & Soothing Flower Essential Mask ★★★
  • My Beauty Diary Black Tea Soothing Moisturizing Mask ★★★
  • My Beauty Diary Red Vine Mask ★★★
  • My Beauty Diary Spring Water Refining Moisturizing Mask ★★★☆
  • My Scheming Milk Extract Brightening Mask ☆
  • Neogence Bird's Nest & White Fungus Moisturizing Mask ★★★☆
  • The Face Shop Real Nature White Tea Face Mask ★★★★☆
  • Tony Moly I'm Real Rice Mask Sheet for Clear Skin ★★★☆


Etude House Korean Ginseng Revitalizing & Nourishing Mask



It comes into a surprise for me that Etude House makes really good sheet masks! I always thought that Etude House skincare is obsolete. My bad, haha!

This Etude House Korean Ginseng mask is really pleasant to use. It has medicinal ginseng smell that is really pleasant to your nose. The mask claims to revitalize and nourish your skin with its emulsion-type essence. It comes in a soft cotton material that adheres lightly onto your skin. Having used a lot of “transparent” silky woodpulp sheet mask, this cotton one feels extra soft on my skin.

Ingredients-wise, this contains ginseng extract, allantoin, camellia leaf extract, sophora aungustifolia root extract, honeysuckle flower extract, peach, peony root extract, ginkgo biloba leaf extract, and so on to revitalize, nourish, and soothe the skin. I am pleasantly surprised by the ingredients in here.

In term of performance, this leaves my skin silky soft, smooth, and plump. I did notice that my pores are getting smaller and skin texture on my cheek area more refined. I don’t have dull skin so I cannot tell anything about the revitalizing part but the smell definitely revitalizes my day (or night).

packaging: ★★☆
scent: ★★★★☆
material: ★★★☆
wear: ★★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★★
finish: ★★★★
Yes! I will be repurchasing.

Illi Total Aging Care Ginseng Firming Mask


This Illi Total Aging Care Ginseng Firming Mask definitely looks pretty, elegant, expensive and good but they are not agreeable with my skin. The material is made of hydrogel with some steel wires looking things holding it in shape. There isn’t a lot of essence left in there, and the essence is pretty clear and non-viscous. It smells lovely, quite hanbang and floral like the Illi body lotion if you have tried one. Everything is great except that it irritates my skin so much the moment I put it on, presumably due to the steel wires looking things. I had to take it off 15 minutes later when I can no longer stand the itchiness.

It didn’t improve my skin in any way, probably because of the unpleasant experience and short time of wearing it. Ingredients-wise, this contains carrageenan, ginseng extract, camellia oil, natto gum and green tea extract which are anti-oxidizing, anti-aging, and nourishing agents for dry and mature skin. I am a fan of ginseng extract and am a little disappointed with the performance of this Illi mask.

packaging: ★★☆
scent: ★★★★
material: ☆
wear: ☆
ingredients: ★★★★
finish: ☆
Not for Illi mask with this material.

Innisfree It's Real Squeeze Mask #Blackberry



Innisfree It’s Real Squeeze Mask is definitely one of the best affordable masks out there in the Korean market. Today I am trying their blackberry flavor. I have tried the other ones as well and I love their rose, cucumber and green tea ones! The black berry has an emulsion-type essence that is quite milky but not sticky. It may be tacky for oilier skin but dry skin will love this. There is no distinctive smell, maybe fruity I would say. I wore this for 20 minutes and can feel that my skin is plumper and softer after taking it off. The next morning I can see that my pores appear smaller and skin texture more refined.

Ingredients-wise, this contains blackberry juice, adenosine, hyaluronic acid, and a bunch of Innisfree Jeju Juices (green tea, orchid, tangerine peel, camellia etc. extracts commonly appear in almost EVERY Innisfree products). No evil ingredients spotted. I did not experience any irritation or discomfort from this little piece. Innisfree masks always have promising qualities.

packaging: ★★★★☆
scent: ★★★
material: ★★★★
wear: ★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★★
finish: ★★★★
I will purchase other flavours to compare with this!

L'herboflore Sweety Cocoa Moisturizing Mask



Don’t everyone agree that this L’herboflore mask look pretty? OMG it makes me want to have some hot chocolate right now!

Actually I always had wonderful experience with L’herboflore masks. They look cute, have extremely adhesive and moisture-locking materials, and are really hydrating and effective too! The downside is the preservatives they used here. This mask contains methylisothiazolinone and iodopropynyl butylcarbamate which are potentially skin irritants. The methylisothiazolinone is also one of the most frowned-upon preservatives with research linking it to nerve damage and cancer. Other ingredients look good, such as cucumber extract, matricaria flower extract, hyaluronic acid, allantoin, fermented cocoa fruit extract, fermented radish root extract, sugar cane and mannitol to moisturize, firm, promote blood circulation, and soothe the skin. Also, the smell is absolutely wonderful like vanilla chocolate!

As much as I wanted to like it, this mask isn’t quite agreeable with my skin. It itches my skin out after wearing it for 20 minutes and the irritation lingers after I took it off. My skin isn’t feeling hydrated or plump, just tacky. I guess I have no luck with this delicious-smelling, pretty-looking mask.

packaging: ★★★★★
scent: ★★★★★
material: ★★★★★
wear: ★★
ingredients: ★★★
finish: ★★
I will just wash and keep the mask envelope as a personal collection, but won’t be repurchasing.

Mamonde Lotus Cooling & Soothing Flower Essential Mask


I love skincare items with lotus, which is why I bought this Mamonde Lotus Cooling and Soothing mask. The mask looks really pretty online but somehow the colour is quite dull when it reaches my hand. Oh well… what matters is the content.

Hmm… what should I say? After trying so many masks, low and high-ends, you are not easily pleased or impressed anymore. As a stand-alone mask, you’ll be super impressed by the thin-but-firm material, the refreshing breezy scent, the cooling and hydrating sensation and even the packaging of this mask, but those are beyond my standard of being impressed nowadays.

So yeah, this is a decent mask for the price (RM 5.90 / KRW 1,500) but I somehow think that there are cheaper and better alternative out there. There is no harm trying though, as these are pretty lovely and has good ingredients (lotus extract, betaine, lotus root extract, and hyaluronic acid) without any harmful additives. I still have 2 more left and I guess I won’t be repurchasing after I finished those.

packaging: ★★★★
scent: ★★★☆
material: ★★★★
wear: ★★★★
ingredients: ★★★
finish: ★★★☆
Won’t be repurchasing because it is good but not great!

My Beauty Diary Black Tea Soothing Moisturizing Mask



This is a special edition My Beauty Diary mask with hot Taiwan tourist spot Sun Moon Lake as the theme. This mask has black tea extract in it and is meant for skin soothing and moisturizing.

The mask is made of their unique multi-silk technology. Actually I can’t quite differentiate sheet mask materials, so I normally go by how they feel on the skin instead of what they are made of. This mask feels extremely adhesive yet firm on the skin. It is like grabbing all the moisture and pressing it deep into your skin layers.

Ingredients-wise, this contains A LOT of extracts like matricaria flower extract, honey, aloe vera juice extract and so on. Any extracts beyond that are in quantities smaller than the preservatives phenoxyethanol (<0.5%) added here, so I won’t say that they contribute a lot to the efficacy of this mask. They are of course things like natural AHAs, centella asiatica, rice protein, fermented black tea extract, sugar cane and so on.

In term of performance, this mask feels really cool, refreshing, soothing and hydrating on the skin. The essence is slightly viscous but non-sticky and can be absorbed well into the skin. Taiwanese masks generally have a lot of leftover essences which I used to apply all over my body. Due to the presence of natural AHAs in here, my milia breakout places start to get a little tingling but the feeling is mild and dismissible.

packaging: ★★★★★
scent: ★★★
material: ★★★★
wear: ★★★★
ingredients: ★★★★
finish: ★★★☆
I still have a lot left. I won’t be repurchasing after I finished the whole box.

My Beauty Diary Spring Water Refining Moisturizing Mask


Just like the black tea soothing and moisturizing mask shared above, this is the special edition My Beauty Diary mask featuring Taipei Spring Water. It claims to refine and moisturize the skin with its unique Spring Water.

Just like other My Beauty Diary masks, this has a super long ingredients list with extracts like aloe vera, algae, lemon peel, silk protein, spring water, licorice root, sugar cane and so on. Nowadays I don’t really bother looking into every single ingredient for sheet masks. First, they don’t really worth my time. Each retails for about USD 1-2 and unless if it contains harmful stuffs, there is no reason you can’t try it just because it has too many or too little extracts (come on, USD 1-2, not USD 10-20). Besides, these ingredients are in their tinniest presence and my time looking into it is priceless. After all, masks are meant to hydrate and force feed our skin with nutrition. Other effects like brightening, anti-aging and exfoliating are bonuses. These plant extracts in their tinniest amount in a sheet mask might do good, but not significant enough to change anything in your skin. So for me, if a mask works, it works. It doesn’t matter if it contains a bunch of flowery extracts or just 1-2 ingredients. I would rather focus on analyzing something more hardcore like an essence or a sunscreen you use every day.

In short, this Spring Water Refining Moisturizing Mask feels very much like the Black Tea mask in terms of materials, fitting, wearing and even finish. My skin feels refreshed, soothed and hydrated but apart from that, this isn’t super impressive or amazing. Just something you would use after a hot sunny day or a gym, if you are going to any XD

packaging: ★★★★★
scent: ★★★
material: ★★★★
wear: ★★★★
ingredients: ★★★★
finish: ★★★☆
I still have a lot left. I won’t be repurchasing after I finished the whole box.

My Beauty Diary Red Vine Mask



This is one of the oldest flavours of My Beauty Diary mask that “survives” until today.

Like most other Taiwanese and Korean economic masks, the material is pretty much evolving into something thin yet highly effective at “pushing” the essence into the skin. This smells like sweet grapes but not so much of red wine. The mask itself feels really cool and hydrating on the skin, just like most other MBD masks I’d tried. It leaves my skin soft and plump with more “genki-look”. Somehow it also brightens and clears up my skin although this only claims to revitalize and firm the skin.

Ingredients-wise, this contains aloe vera extract, green tea, licorice root extract, grape extract and so on. I don’t see any wine in here, or maybe I overlook? It does contain triethanolamine and iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, both of which are ingredients that are not so skin-friendly, but since I am not using this every day and this one is giving me positive results, I can “somehow” overlook that.

packaging: ★★★
scent: ★★★
material: ★★★★
wear: ★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★☆
finish: ★★★★☆
Since it is giving me results, I think I will be repurchasing!

My Scheming Milk Extract Brightening Mask



Hmm… what should I say, the worst masks I’ve ever tried.

This is the Milk Extract Brightening Mask from My Scheming with pretty and cute packaging. It smells like sweetened milk candy, which I kinda dislike. The mask promises skin nourishment, elasticity, wrinkles-care and softening with ingredients like hyaluronic acid, cucumber fruit extract, milk protein, lecithin, and so on. Regardless, the bad part is the harmful ingredients used in here: methylisothiazolinone (which can cause nerve damage) and iodopropynyl butylcarbamate (which is irritating and may become organ toxin). I was appalled to find that this contains those ingredients and took it off immediately! In fact, it also started to irritate my skin a little the moment after I put it on.

Got it as a gift from a friend. I guess cheap and free are sometimes bad. Would not recommend.

packaging: ★★★☆
scent: ★
material: ★★★☆
wear: ★
ingredients: ☆
finish: ☆
Never for this series of My Scheming mask!

Neogence Bird's Nest & White Fungus Moisturizing Mask



Even though some people, especially my friends in Taiwan, told me how good Neogence masks are, I am a bit skeptical since Neogence N3 masks failed me. This Bird’s Nest & White Fungus Moisturizing Mask is an upgraded N5 Neogence mask.

As you can see, it is made of black cotton. Soaked in rich viscous essence, this mask feels hydrating and soft on my skin. It leaves the skin around my cheek area a little itchy though but I can forgive it for making my pores looking more refined later. My skin ended up feeling moisturizing, refined, soft and supple. It may leave some tackiness on my skin but that tackiness would go away in 15 minutes.

Ingredients-wise, this contains a lot of humectants, pearl, swiftlet nest extract, tremella mushroom extract, BHA (guess that’s what creates the tingling) and so on. No super bad ingredients spotted here, maybe just iodopropynyl butylcarbamate. Since this is not a mask I would use on a regular basis, I think I can forgive it for this time.

packaging: ★★★★
scent: ★★★
material: ★★★☆
wear: ★★
ingredients: ★★★☆
finish: ★★★★
Maybe yes, maybe not depending on my mood.

The Face Shop Real Nature White Tea Face Mask



Second time I used this Real Nature Mask from The Face Shop. I must admit that the packaging got me hooked at first, but then it was the material and performance that really impressed me to try out more.

I somehow feel that this is less impressive than the Poeny one that I had shared previously. The material feels rougher and less fitting compared to the Poeny one, presumably because this is a normal essence type mask whereas the Poeny one is an oil serum type mask.

This renewed mask series is really good! Apart from the nice material, lovely scent, and great ingredients used (no paraben, no mineral oil and other harmful stuffs), this works really well on hydrating, renewing and softening my skin. It contains white tea extract to brighten and clear up the skin along with a whole lot of moisturizers like hyaluronic acid, betaine, allantoin, lecithin, and so on. I am pleased with the formulation and the quality I got from a KRW 1,000 mask!

packaging: ★★★★★
scent: ★★★★★
material: ★★★★
wear: ★★★★
ingredients: ★★★★
finish: ★★★★
Yes, I will repurchase!

Tony Moly I'm Real Rice Mask Sheet for Clear Skin



This is the first Tony Moly mask I used, the flavor I picked is rice for clearer and more radiant-looking skin. The material is decent, considering that this is an old formulation (I think I have seen this around since 2 years ago), the fitting is really good and I did not smell anything that is pleasant nor disturbing. The mask feels hydrating albeit a bit “hot” on my skin. I did not experience any tingling or burning sensation so I am assuming that nothing in here is irritating to your skin.

Ingredients-wise, this contains mineral oil (which is a good occlusive but might cause skin irritation in certain individuals), allantoin (soothing), hyaluronic acid (moisturizing), rice extract (brightening and gentle exfoliating), and so on. This only has some snail secretion filtrate in it which I guess is for skin strengthening and repairing.

In term of performance, this leaves my skin looking brighter and dewy. Regardless, it doesn’t calm down and hydrate my skin as much as I wanted it to be, but the brightening part is delightful!

packaging: ★★★
scent: ★★★
material: ★★★☆
wear: ★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★☆
finish: ★★★★
No I still have other Tony Moly masks to try.


[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...