22 Jun 2016

Review: Belif Numero 10 Essence


Everyone who follows my blog knows that I love Belif products, especially their Aqua Bomb. It is one of the best moisturizers I've ever used, and I am willing to pay that amount of money for all the refreshing, cooling and healing sensations I got from that little jar of fountain.

Today, I'm gonna be sharing another Belif products that I kinda enjoy, although not to the point of becoming my holygrail yet - the Belif Numero 10 Essence.


image courtesy of Belif official Facebook

Basically, the Belif Numero 10 Essence is a first-serum type product, or "bathroom essence" as they nicknamed it. It is similar to Innisfree Green Tea Seed Serum and Sulwhasoo First Care Activating Serum, but different from treatment essence like SK-II, Primera Miracle Seed Essence or Missha First Treatment Essence.

For those of you who are unclear, first serum normally refers to the first skincare product you use to active and hydrate your skin, sort of like a skin appetizer to wake it up for delicious foods. In Asia, they call it 肌底液, the essence that founds the skin. It is definitely different from treatment essence, which also known as 神仙水 or 青春露, the fountain of youth that renews and rejuvenates skin. Both category is under the skin booster section. You can refer to my mega post on first serums if you are still confused.

This is a product you use within 10 seconds (as in the name Numero 10) immediately after cleansing, preferably on a damp face.


TEXTURE AND SCENT


This bathroom essence has an interesting texture. It looks and feels just like watery gel, those you get from Nature Republic Aloe Vera Gel but thicker. But when you apply this on a damp face, it gets absorbed like a watery toner, and keeps your skin hydrated for the next 2-3 hours. I love using this whenever I am feeling tired after shower and don't want to commit myself into a lengthy routine yet.


Contrary to its claim, this product doesn't boost up my skin's hydration level by 40%, but I don't think my skin's moisture level will ever go that high. It would be odd and unhealthy. Even though it doesn't show up in the statistics, I still think that this product supplies with immense hydration that no other product alone can give as yet. Not even Innisfree Green Tea Seed Serum. But this is my individual perception, your feeling may vary if you have different skin types, preference and weather from mine.

As for scent, this product smells just like its other Belif siblings - a relaxing and healing herbal-lemonic scent.

INGREDIENTS

Water, Glycerin, SD Alcohol 40-B, Dipropylene Glycol, Butylene Gycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Trehalose, Himanthalia Elongata (Brown Algae) Extract, Betaine, Panthenol, Selaginella lepidophylla (Rose of Jericho) Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Nepeta Cataria Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Leaf Extract, Baptisia Tinctoria Root Extract, Stellaria Media (Chickweed) Extract, Alchemilla Vulgaris Leaf Extract, Viola Tricolor Extract, Rosa Damascena Flower Extract, Spiraea Ulmaria Flower Extract, Althaea Officinalis Root Extract, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Octyldodeceth-16, Carbomer, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Sodium Polyacrylate, Tromethamine, Trisodium EDTA, Fragrance*, Citronello, Limonene

all the great stuffs packed in this little bottle, isn't that beautiful?

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS

You'll be surprised by how clean the ingredients list for most Belif products. Most averagely safe ingredients are those commonly used texture ingredients (emollients, surfactants, emulsifiers all that) in most skincare products. As for the fragrance, most Belif products have this soothing, aromatherapeutic, relaxing lemonic scent that I'm absolutely in love with. If you are sensitive to any Belif products due to the fragrance used here, then you'll probably be sensitive to all the rest as well.

A vast majority of ingredients used here are moisturizers (plant extracts with moisturising properties, humectants and emollients). Trehalose, a plant sugar is present here to bind water to the skin, rehydrate it and allow it to retain moisture it would otherwise lose to the surrounding (i.e. especially after cleansing). Himanthalia elongata extract is a type of algae that is present to moisturize, repair, calm and soothe skin. Other plant extracts like oat kernel, calendula flower and marshmallow are added to moisturize and soothe skin especially skin suffering from inflammation, eczema, psoriasis, flakiness and itchiness.

This Numero 10 Essence is also loaded with tonnes of anti-microbial or acne-calming ingredients lke catnip extract, raspberry leaf extract, wild indigo and chickweed. It also has anti-aging and anti-oxidants goodies packed inside with the ability to restore and balance skin's moisture barrier. Meadowsweet flower extract, for instance, is known to improve skin elasticity and stimulate blood flow to the skin to make it repair and recover faster.

In short, it seems that this is a wonderful light-weighted yet hydrating pre-serum or first serum you use on a wet face. It is suitable for most skin types, with ingredients particularly beneficial for dry, flaky, irritated, acne-prone, dehydrated and oily-dehydrated skin. I am not sure does someone with healthy oily skin needs (those that don't clog pores or resulted in cystic acne) this, but I think those with dehydratiom-induced acne skin might benefit the most from this. Sensitive skin especially those with adverse reaction to any form of alcohol might need to note the presence of SD Alcohol 40-B in here, which is mostly used as a solvent but has the potential to cause irritation.

CONCLUSION


In short, I am pleased with the performance of Belif Numero 10 Essence.

It used to be something I missed, since our first few dates often end in tragedy, I use this way too long after cleansing my face, so this sticks on my skin like hell. The tackiness will linger for hours and hours. I even call it a product worse than the Hungarian Water Essence which feels nothing more like water. I guess you just have to find your own way of using it to eventually enjoy it. And you will, trust me, if you did.

So far, my mom with combination-oily skin loves using it, but she did not repurchase it since she always forgets to use it. My best friend with sensitive-damaged skin adores this. Something about it heals, soothes and hydrates her skin so well applying it feels like a threat. And of course for me, I apply it as an instant hydration boost after cleansing to keep my skin disciplined during my lazy days. Of course, I will always treat my skin with something delicious a few hours later before going to bed - when I am having enough "rest".

Don't expect magic from it though. It is just a convenient magic booster for lazy bugs like me. You can use it before your sheet mask to give your therapy session a pleasant boost as well. But, this product does nothing more than that. It preps, it makes other products easier to apply, it softens, it soothes and it hydrates, but it doesn't really repair and treat your skin the way your serum does. So, you SHOULD NOT replace your essence or serum with this.

As for whether or not I will repurchase? Yes, definitely!


About: skin booster, first serum
Purpose: hydration, prepares skin for better absorption of products that follow
Best suited for: all skin types, especially dry, flaky, irritated, acne-prone, oily-dehydrated, dehydrated
May not suit: easily clogged skin, non-dehydration-related acne-prone skin, individuals sensitive to alcohol
Skincare Step: cleanser > Belif Numero 10 Essence > toner > serum > moisturizer

packaging: ★★
scent: ★★★★☆
texture: ★★★★☆
ingredients: 
★★★★☆
efficacy: ★★★★☆
overall impression: 
★★★★☆ (excellent although not yet my holy-grail)

You can get this from: Belif Malaysia | Koreadepart
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...