26 May 2016

Review: 3W Clinic Intensive UV Sunblock Cream SPF50+/PA+++


Honestly, the only reason for me to buy this has to be its really affordable prices. I've read some good review about this sunscreen even though it is considered really cheap so I thought why don't I just give it a try?


The packaging looks really simple, like the quality of a product manufactured in China. I don't really dive deep into the brand 3W Clinic. All I know about it is that it is on the lower price range, like maybe 2 levels lower than Innisfree, The Face Shop and Skinfood. It has a hydrating sleeping mask with packaging really similar to Laneige Water Sleeping Mask as well!


The texture of this sunscreen is interesting. It is more like a body lotion with sun protection factor (SPF). The feeling, finish and smell of this sunscreen are very much like those body lotion I bought in local drugstore with sunscreen ingredients. The official description labels this as a soft cream type sun block. 


A closer look: this actually leaves a white cast and accentuates dry lines on your skin.

its marketing vow

I am not gonna pretend that I really enjoy this sunscreen or anything like that. I have high demand for sunscreens, and is always on the look for nice sunscreens. So far, the good sunscreen I found are Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essence, Hadalabo UV Perfect Gel and AMPM 10 Peptide Lotion. I've a lot more not-okay ones like Nature Republic The First Sun Liquid, The Face Shop Aqua Sun GelNano White, Innisfree No-Sebum Sun Milk, Neogence Mineral sunscreen and It's Skin 2PM Sun Block. The thing about all these sunscreens are that, no matter how I dislike it, I will still try to finish it, except for a few that I really just can't. This 3w clinic belongs to the few that I cannot finish. It's not essentially bad, but the texture and dryness are really turning me off.

INGREDIENTS

Water, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Titanium Oxides, 1,3 Butylene Glycol, 4-Methylbenzylidene Camphor, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Bees Wax, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polyglyceryl-3 methylglucose distearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Methylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydrolyzed collagen, Xanthan Gum, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Morus Alba Bark Extract, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Allantoin, Arbutin, Betaine, Perfume, Red Ginseng Extract

{sun filters, good ingredients, problematic ingredients}

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS

The first thing that came into my mind when I was running this through the CosDNA is: oh no this is not suitable for sensitive skin. A lot of the ingredients are flagged problematic, either causing hormonal disruption or are potentially irritating and acne-causing.

Major sun filters used here are octinoxate, titanium dioxide, and enzacamene. Octinoxate is a UVB filters (against those uv rays that may cause tanning or sun burn), which is very commonly found in most spf products. There are studies linking this ingredient to organ toxicity but there are studies that prove otherwise. Hence, it has been continually used in most sunscreen products until now. There is nothing much to comment about titanium dioxide, it is pretty common in cosmetic products as UVA filters and pigment. Its safety to use in cosmetics is also very much approved by scientific research.

The real problem is enzacamene, which is another UVB to compensate octinoxate. This ingredient is given a safety score of 7/7 (extremely unsafe on human) given its potential estrogenic effect when used on human skin. This ingredient has been approved for use in Europe and Canada but not allowed in the USA and Japan.

Another problem is the use of propylparaben, which is even more unsafe than methyparaben and is suspected of causing breast cancer in lab experiment.

Enough of the scaries, we also have the goods. There is vitamin E, hydrolyzed collagen, aloe vera extract, white mulberry tree extract, licorice extract, allantoin, arbutin and red ginseng extract added into this sunscreen. These extracts, in general, have anti-aging, anti-oxidizing, moisturizing, soothing, pigmentation-lightening, and energizing effects. Sounds good for all age types, especially mature skin types. 

You'll see that almost 50% of the ingredients in the list above are non-bold or highlighted or underlined, those are the solvent, emulsifiers, surfactants and emollients. The “superficial" thing that contributes to its body-lotion-like texture.


CONCLUSION

Fans will hate me for ranting about their favourite sunscreens, and the brand owner will curse me for saying that this is problematic. Well... I'm just telling the truth guys.

This sunscreen is not necessarily bad. If I were an old lady, or ladies in their post-menopause age, wanting something cheap and soft to protect my skin from the annoying sun, I don't see why this is a problem. The problematic ingredients here are most likely to interrupt with estrogen (women hormone) which I think is best to keep away for the ages (like teens or pregnant ladies) where your estrogen is very active. My theory could be wrong though, since I am not an expert, so you could also choose to stay away from it completely.

But, for a sunscreen this cheap, I think the ingredients and all fit the prices well. I mean, you won't be expecting paying half the price for something that doubles the goodness right? That would be too good to be true.

In short, I don't like this sunscreen mostly because of the texture. I don't have a lot of confidence in using something that smells and feels like body lotion on my face. But if this is not causing you breakouts or anything, I don't see why you shouldn't use it. That's all for today, cheers!

packaging: ★★
scent: ★★☆
texture: ★★
ingredients: ★★
efficacy: ★★  
overall impression: ★★ (something about its quality really turns me off)


You can get this from: RoseRoseShop | Hermo | BeautyStall | Qoo10
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Product is purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...