3 Apr 2016

Review: Primera Miracle Seed Essence

A pure soul sealed in a beautiful glass

The Miracle Seed Essence was the reason that drove me into Primera. A year ago I was super obsessed with treatment essences that I madly collected all (reputable) treatment essences I could find, and Primera was one of them. You can check out my previous post on Primera for more information about the brand.

Basically, treatment essence is a miraculous watery solution that does it all. It can tone, gently exfoliate, hydrate, anti-oxidize, brighten, and prep. It's not a toner, not quite an essence, and definitely not a serum; more like a hybrid of toner and essence. It can replace toner as long as you practice double cleansing - use a makeup remover before a foam cleanser, since treatment essence is generally low in pH and high dose of active ingredients to balance and replenish. This treatment essence does almost everything a toner can do, while many times more nutritive than toner, except for serving as a second cleansing step -- which can be achieved by double cleansing.

Normally, I use this immediately after cleansing. I will add in one more toning step (non-astringent, hydrating toner) if I need added hydration on a particular day. I feel that it supplies abundant hydration and energy to my skin while helping my other skincare to absorb better. On days that I don't use this, I notice more rough-textured and dehydrated skin. Something just doesn't feel right about my skin during its absence.

it contains 93.1% of germinated lotus seed essence

Comparison-wise, this Primera Miracle Seed Essence is more hydrating and gentle on skin than other treatment essences I've tried. Although Primera isn't as good as Nature Republic in term of brightening up skin, it provides a natural healthy glow to my skin that I love. I normally needed hydrating toner when I used Nature Republic because it could be a little drying for the skin, but not Primera. Alone, Primera can well function as both a hydrating toner and a whitening essence.



This Miracle Seed Essence is formulated with the beautiful and elegant lotus seed. Primera decided to make an essence with lotus seed extract having observed the tenacious life force and indefatigable vitality of lotus seed which will sprout even after 700 years. Imagine turning this enormous sprout energy into a rejuvenating force for your skin, how awesome and innovating can that be?


This treatment essence looks and feel like water at most times, but is not water. Texture-wise, it is clear, runny, watery and unscented. Actually, slightly soury if you try to smell hard. 2-3 dispenses are sufficient to cover your entire face. Alternatively, pour this onto the cotton pad that comes with it and swipe it across your face for added exfoliation and evener distribution of the essence. On busy days, I just pour this onto my palm and pat lightly for absorption.

descriptions inside the box

Like Innisfree, Primera has really eco-friendly design. All instructions are printed inside the box instead of on an instruction paper.


On the box, it says "creating radiant, glowing skin" with its "93.1% lotus seed extract".


If you notice, you'll see little markings on the side of the bottle saying 3...6...9...30. By right you are supposed to use 5ml per day, so the whole bottle is going to last you for 30 days. But I couldn't finish it within 30 days even though I use it quite generously. Sometimes, I even pour the product on cotton pads and use it for mini-facial therapies. Even that, this bottle has lasted me 2 months. I think if you are not a generous user, maybe this could last you a little longer -- like 3 months or so.

CLAIMS

One of Primera's best-selling products, this Miracle Seed Essence is formulated with 93.1% of lotus seed extract packed with abundant amino acids and linoleic acid to hydrate, retexturize, replenish and tone skin. It contains the 3 secrets of tough lotus flower seeds that can germinate even after 700 years to revitalize and rejuvenate skin:

  • texture - rich in linoleic acids and amino acids, it helps to fortify skin's defense mechanism and provide moisture to protect it from harsh and dry environment, resulting in smoother and moisturized skin texture
  • tone - this essence contains high flavonoid and polyphenol contents to suppress the creation of active oxygen and prevent oxidative activity that is harmful for the skin
  • transparency - it also relieves skin troubles caused by environmental pollutants such as stress, aging, and so on to leave skin looking healthier with more radiant


INGREDIENTS

Nelumbo Nucifera Germ ExtractNiacinamideGlycereth-26GlycerinEthylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, AdenosineSodium HyaluronateSaccharomyces FermentMethyl Gluceth-20, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Citrate, 1,2-Hexanediol

{good/active ingredients, moisturizers}


INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS


This Miracle Seed Essence has the cleanest ingredients list I've ever seen, not even parabens or phenoxyethanol sighted.

93.1% of the ingredient is lotus seed extract, which is a potent antioxidant, soothing agent and moisturizer. Lotus seed extract contains an ample concentration of linolenic acids and amino acids, both of which are components of natural moisturizing factors in skin. It therefore helps to strengthen skin's defense barrier, provide moisture and protect skin from environmental aggressors to produce a supple and silky soft skin. The ingredient is also enriched with flavonoids and polyphenols to retain the production of active oxygen to purify skin and enhance skin elasticity for translucent and renewed skin. Lotus seed extract is also found in research to display tyrosinase- and DOPA-oxidase- inhibiting properties, to whiten skin and prevent the formation of wrinkles and fine lines. Natural AHAs present in lotus seed extract also helps to gently exfoliate skin whereby allowing renewed and younger skin cells to surface for transparent-looking skin.


Other active ingredients include niacinamide and adenosine, as well as some gentle and safe moisturizers. As we all know, niacinamide is a popular ingredient to improve skin elasticity, reduce pigmentation and correct anything that associates with aging. I always look for niacinamide or vitamin  C instead of arbutin when sourcing for whitening products, probably because those two work better for my freckles.

Adenosine is another great ingredient being added here. It's a key building block in ATP, which transports energy within cells. The ingredient is also found to have antioxidizing, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging and skin-elasticity improving properties. It will enhance blood circulation to skin epidermis to repair damaged skin cells, reduce wrinkles and treat wounds.

The entire formulation manages to convince me that this is indeed a powerful essence made of miraculous seed. Not only is it gentle and safe on the skin, it is also equipped with a selected amount of powerful ingredients to achieve all its claimed benefits. I like shorter ingredients list, as it means I can enjoy more benefits from each of the listed ingredients, instead of having a super complicated formulation with ingredients that are no where near enough of anything. In short, this Miracle Seed Essence is indeed a miraculous skin solution to hydrate, prep, tone, balance pH, brighten, treat dark spots, prevent wrinkles, anti-oxidize, soothe, improve skin elasticity, repair, revert sun damage, gently exfoliate and revitalize. 


Packaging ★★★★
Texture ★★★★★
Ingredients ★★★★
Scent ★★★

Performance 

CONCLUSION

This is my 3rd collection of treatment essences, and definitely not my last. As shared previously, I have a gist about treatment essences, or anything in watery form that can hydrate and treat. My skin, despite being normal to dry, doesn't like anything nourishing or tacky. I like anything light-weighted, non-greasy, easily absorbed, ultra-fine molecules, and watery. I rarely like oil-based serum, Primera Super Sprout Serum is an exception, and don't like anything rich or creamy. If possible, I also don't want to wear a sunscreen. I rarely do makeup, and cushion foundation breaks me out (in little milias) even if I just apply a thin layer of it.


Hence, my love for treatment essence is inevitable. It is all-in-one, really hydrating, watery, looks elegant, has a lot of active ingredients and will penetrate deep and quick into my skin to perform all its miraculous work. No toner can replace the significance of treatment essence in my skincare regime. Recently, I found Hanyul Rice Essential Skin Softner, and think that they have formulated a toner that has the properties of an essence. And then my favourite Belif Acai Berry Anti-Aging Essence is another unique treatment essence and essence hybrid that I really enjoy. So it doesn't really have to be labelled "treatment essence" or "first essence" to have the properties of a toner and essence combined, but the category as a whole, where a hydrating toner is equipped with the properties of an essence, is irreplaceable in my personal skincare regime. I will never ever build a skincare regime without this treatment essence step.

This Primera Miracle Seed Essence is apparently a success in treatment essence category. It's pure, elegant, clean, and nicely formulated. It's perhaps the most hydrating and gentle treatment essences I've tried. Results-wise, I've seen healthy glowing effect and plumper skin from using it. I always rotate between essences, as I feel that they are doing almost the same thing to my skin. My skin has strong barrier and rarely reacts to anything, so I can't tell you whether or not something is particularly bad because my skin doesn't feel it most of the time. I need these treatment essences to tone, hydrate, prep, and do all the wrinkles-care, antioxidizing, and brightening works. And all these take time to reveal. Of course, ever since I adopt treatment essences in my skincare regime, I notice finer pores, smoother texture, evener skin tone, with a lot of freckles fading. It does work, all you need is patience.

Going back to Primera, I think this treatment essence works best for individuals with sensitive, dull and tired skin. It's too gentle to give you immediate effects, but it will definitely work if you have some patience and faith in it. It contains sprout energy and adenosine to supply energy for your skin, enhancing blood flow and bringing up metabolism rate, which is another secret to healthy-looking skin. All skin types will benefit from it -- be it dry, oily, or sensitive skin. It's super light-weighted and hydrating for all kind of skin. Linolenic acid in the lotus seed extract is also great for acne-prone and oily-combination skin types to calm and soothe skin.

In short, I love this, and have already made a repurchase.

What do you think about the Primera Miracle Seed Essence? Are you using it already? Do you like it? Share your thoughts in the comments below. I would love to hear your feedback on it!

You can get this from: Althea / TesterKorea / Koreadepart / I-Meiou / Peach and Lily
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...