16 Dec 2015

Review: Innisfree Eco Safety No Sebum Sun Milk SPF50+ PA+++



I hate sunblock. It is the last thing in the world that I would want to have on my face, due to all the stickiness and unpleasant feeling of having a layer of "something" on my skin. This aversion mainly originates from the first sunscreen that I use, Nano White Omega Day Shield SPF50 PA++. The Nano White one made my skin so dry and patchy, I couldn't finish even 1 bottle of them in a year, so you know I really dislike it. This dislike turns into disliking every sunscreen in the world.

Nano White Omega Day Shield SPF 50 PA++

Unfortunately though... I am genetically prone to having freckles. So my aversion to sunscreen becomes a big dilemma for me: to use (and prevent my hyperpigmentation from worsening) or to not use (and see those evil spots surfacing day by day)? In the end, of course, I am forced to give in, in order to control the evil brown spots from spreading further. So, you can see that there is a love-and-hate relationship between me and sunscreen. Due to that, I am always on the quest of finding the "best" sunscreen out there in the market. If I really have to use one, at least I find one that I hate less, right?

Innisfree Eco Safety No Sebum Sun Milk SPF50+ PA+++ is among the "luckies" that I'd chose. The decision didn't come arbitrarily, I have read a good few reviews on it before placing an order from Koreadepart. Most people claim that it is light-weighted, non-greasy, moisturizing, and have gentle formula. Two sunscreens that I like so far, namely the Biore Watery Essence and the Hada Labo UV Moist Emulsion are quite good, but they both contain alcohol especially the Biore one. So, if I can get something that is mild and gentle as well as light-weighted, why don't I just give it a try then?


The Innisfree Eco Safety No Sebum Sun Milk has a whopping SPF factor of 50 and a PA protection of +++. For individuals with hyperpigmentation, UVA is more worrying than UVB as UVA ages us and causing dark spots whereas UVB only makes us darker. 

The Innisfree Eco Safety No Sebum Sun Milk has a classy white bottle design. It looks sturdy and elegant as a sunscreen, compared to the packaging of many other sunscreens. 


It comes in a solid bottle with a small opening on top. As you can see, the sunscreen is very liquidy. No stinch of oil is found. It is just like a lot of powder compressed into liquid format serving to suck all other oils that it can find. Urgh, I know that sounds gross, but that's close to the truth. Your skin will be left totally shine-free, dry and patchy just like powdered baby bottom. 

CLAIMS

The Innisfree Eco Safety No Sebum Sun Milk SPF50+ PA+++ is a light milk type sunblock made of organic sunflower oil that controls sebum and leave skin matte. It glides on the skin without leaving a white cast while its sebum-controlling porous powder keeps the skin fresh and soft. It is also very gentle and mild with 100% mineral filter that protects sensitive skin individuals. 

#sebum control
#lasting moisture
#uv protection
#no white cast
#gentle and mild


INGREDIENTS
(click here for Cosdna analysis)

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Zinc Oxide, Dicaprylyl Ether, Butylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide, Glycerin, Cyclomethicone, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Silica, PEG-10 Dimethicone, The green Tea Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Witch Hazel Leaf Extract, *Sunflower Seed Oil(0.045mg), Saccharomyces Ferment Lysate Filtrate, Tangerine Peel Extract, Orchid Extract, Camellia Leaf Extract, Prickly Pear Extract, Magnesium Sulfate, Methicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Caprylyl Glycol, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Caprylate, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS


Is this sunblock as gentle as it claims to be?

The sun milk uses zinc dioxide and titanium dioxide as its primary filters, which mean no chemical filter is being used here. This should be a great news for individuals sensitive to chemical filters like octinoxate and octisalate. People who are going against the idea of having chemical filters that get absorbed into your skin could also try this out.

The sun milk gives a very matte and dry finish unlike other physical filters only sunscreen, mostly attributable to the presence of dicaprylyl ether in it. This is a safe solvent and emollient for those wanting a smooth and soft yet matte finish for their sunscreen. This ingredient is also widely used in deodorant. To increase the "dryness", Innisfree also adds cyclomethicone.

As for plant extracts, pigweed extract (soothing), green tea extract (moisturizing), witch hazel extract (soothing and sebum control), tangerine peel extract (brightening), orchid extract (anti-aging), camellia (anti-oxidizing), and cactus (anti-aging and moisturizing) are added, in a descending portion. I don't find anything impressive in these extracts, maybe except pigweed extract that are not normally present in other Innisfree products.

I also notice that tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E) is being added here. I am not sure why it is rated as "averagely hazardous" in Cosdna, but VE is a great anti-oxidizing ingredient with excellent protection against sun damage. It can reduce the formation of free radicals upon skin exposure to UVA rays, protect skin barrier oil balance during cleansing process, prevent moisture less, and reduce the severity of sunburn. Sounds cool to be used in a sunscreen, eh?

Sunflower seed oil is also added here. Sunflower seed oil is a non-volatile, non-fragrant plant oil used as an emollient in cosmetics with the ability to repair skin barrier and reduce inflammation. In other words, it is a great ingredient to soothe skin from sun damage. 

The remaining of the list are mainly thickener, absorbent, emulsifier and preservative. Several ingredients such as stearic acid (an emulsifer, scores 2/5 on acne-triggering), dimethicone (a form of silicone, slip agent, scores 1/5 on acne-triggering), and aluminium hydroxide (an absorbent, mildly hazardous) may be a concern for certain individuals so do test it on your hand before buying if you have sensitive skin!

So, let's go back to the our previous question: is this sun milk as gentle as it claims? Yes, I think so.


SPECIAL VERDICT
(click here for my grading standard)

Packaging ★★★★
Texture ★★
Application 
Scent ★★★
Ingredients ★★★★

CONCLUSION

If you ask me, personally, do I like this sunscreen? I will give you a straight NO! A big NOOOOO! It is too drying and too powdery for normal skin. Even my friend with combination skin cannot take it. But, does that mean that this sunscreen should be doomed in the hell and locked from selling? No, I don't think so. In fact, I think for certain individual, this would be a great sunscreen

I have been using this "baby powder" for over 4 weeks which I end up giving it away. It makes my skin so dry and uncomfortable. I already have limited oil in my skin yet this little thing has basically sucked all nearly extincted oil in my skin surface. Imagine desertization, this is how it works!

The texture of this sunscreen is very liquidy. It can spread smoothly and evenly on your skin, leaving a white cast that disappears very quickly within 30 seconds. It smells like sunflower (I know sunflower seed oil has no smell) or like baby powder. Not too pleasant nor unpleasant. A little goes a long way, I think this sunscreen can last you for some 2-3 months even if you use it vigorously. 

This sunscreen is definitely not suitable for individuals with dry, normal and combination skin. I think only those with sensitive and oil skin can use this. This sunscreen has only physical filters (i.e. titanium oxide and zinc oxide) for individuals who are sensitive to chemical filters. The formula is also quite gentle and does not contain anything especially harsh or harmful. Normally, sunscreen with physical-filters-only tend to be very greasy but this one is not. Plus, it has perfect sebum control property (look it how it sucks all the oil on my and my friend's face?) great for oily skin people. So, oily and sensitive skin folks, you can now cheer!


I think that's all I have to say about this sunscreen. Although I can't use it, I still send it my highest regard. It is still a good sunscreen, for the right person.


You can get this from: Innisfree Malaysia
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...