28 Sep 2015

Review: Innisfree Jeju Sparkling Mineral Skin and Lotion


I talk about the Jeju Sparkling Mineral line from Innisfree approximately 3 months ago when I discuss how I love their Mineral Essence as a light-weighted yet highly moisturizing essence. Today, I am going to discuss two other items from this line, the Mineral Skin and Emulsion. This would then complete my collection of the Innisfree Jeju Sparkling Mineral basic skincare line. I still have another review on its Cleansing Mousse coming up, but I'll keep that for later.

As discussed previously, the entire concept of this popular line from Innisfree comes from mineral water, which is water in its purest form with all traces of mineral removed. The water molecules of the mineral water are then small enough to penetrate deeper and faster into your skin than normal water. Remember all the stories you heard about people getting medical benefits from bathing in hot spring water? This should be how the theory works.

Intrigued by this refreshing yet highly moisturizing skincare line, something that you really need in a hot climate country like Malaysia, I decided to grab four items from this Jeju Sparkling Mineral line. Let's find out what I thought about them below.

Both Jeju Sparkling Mineral Toner and Lotion have cute, bubbly-looking round-shaped designs. Both comes in twisted-opened caps with a narrow 1-2 cm passage that allows you to pour the contents out. Although you can recycle your bottles easier this way, I always prefer skincare items in pump which is more hygienic and convenient to use.

Innisfree Jeju Sparkling Mineral Skin


The texture of this toner is very much like your carbonated drink. It's semi-transparent, very watery and sink into your skin almost instantly. Although it doesn't leave a very soft and moisturized finish like the Innisfree Green Tea Toner, it gives a very moist and refreshed sense, as if your skin has drank a bottle of Sprite or something.


Unlike the essence which makes me feel that even the deepest layer of my skin is being pampered, this toner doesn't penetrate as quickly or as deep, but it leaves a very moist and velvety feeling on my skin. It really gives you the kind of feeling where you have just got up from a long hot spring water bath and this feeling will linger for some 30 minutes, at least.


For that reason, I love soaking the toner in cotton pads and just use it for a 3-5 minutes mini-facials at night. It gives immediate results - skin feels so supple and plump without the need for a night cream. I sometimes just pat some sleeping mask before I sleep after these mini-facials. This is also why the toner becomes my second empty after the essence. I just can't resist the temptation!

INGREDIENTS
(click here for Cosdna analysis)

Onsen-Sui(88.0%), Propanediol, Glycerin, Camellia Japonica Leaf Extract, Orchid Extract, Opuntia Coccinellif.Era Fruit Extract, Citrus Unshiu Peel Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Vaccinium Myrtillus Fruit/Leaf Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Acer Saccharum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Glycereth-26, Methyl Gluceth-20, Bis-Peg-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Octyldodeceth-16, Peg-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS

This toner is packed with 88.0% of mineral water, a better form of water. It also comes with a lot of botanical extracts such as camellia, orchid, cactus, mandarin, green tea, bilberry, sugar cane, lemon, and orange. Everything highlighted in green are the old Innisfree extracts. What I mean is that, these extracts will often if not always come out in Innisfree products. You can't miss these. Of course, these are very good extracts as well, especially camellia and green tea. Research on orchid, cactus, and mandarin peel are still on-going but the results are promising. I just don't find anything that makes this toner different than any other Innisfree products.


Nothing in this toner is flagged comedogenic or irritating. It looks very safe indeed. In addition, the sugar cane extracts here also contain AHA to battle signs of aging and to help with those with acne and blackheads. So yeah, not just dry skin can use this, those who have clogged and dull skin can try this out too.

Ingredients-wise, I don't find anything that makes this toner a must-have. But, the texture and the performance of this toner are really promising, like I can't imagine I get such a result from this toner by just looking at the ingredients-list! This doesn't even contain carbon dioxide like the Essence does.

In the end, I just have to convince myself that the onsei-sui (mineral water) is the magician behind this. It does have some magic spells that makes it so special. A moisturizing spell.

So, how about the lotion then?

Innisfree Jeju Sparkling Mineral Lotion

Although I really really like the toner and essence, but I must say that this lotion has disappointed me a lot. Like, this is just a little bit better than the Elizavecca Origin Ma Cream that I hate so much. I bought the toner, lotion and essence from TesterKorea before it was even launched in Malaysia (I just can't wait) so I didn't get to try it before buying. I thought it would be just like the Green Tea Balancing Lotion that I really love, but OMG I was so wrong. This lotion has the worst texture in the world. I even "nick-name" it the "gummy glue packed in blue". Innisfree, are you serious about having this for Spring/Summer? This won't even work for Fall/Winter!!


I'll show you guys what I mean. As you can see the pictures, the lotion has a gluey appearance that is purely white in colour. Gluey is fine! Really! As long as you can be well absorbed into my skin. But look at it! 5 minutes of light massaging is not sufficient to push it inside my already suffocated skin! In my busy mornings (due to my difficulty waking up), I usually just apply a small pearl size and rush to kick start my day. I can't afford applying more as it won't get absorbed. And then I am designated to wash my face during the lunch hour since this lotion can't moisturize my face well enough. It adds oil, and only oils, without any moisture.

Since I bought it, I can't waste it so I have been patiently using it for some 3 months and then... gave it away. I just can't tolerate it anymore.

INGREDIENTS
(click here for my Cosdna profile)

Onsen-Sui(61.8%), Propanediol, Hydrogenated Poly(C6-14 Olefin), Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Palmitic Acid, Cyclohexasiloxane, Macadamia Ternif.Olia Seed Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Citrus Unshiu Peel Extract, Opuntia Coccinellif.Era Fruit Extract, Camellia Japonica Leaf Extract, Orchid Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Tromethamine, Peg-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Carbomer, Disodium Edta, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS

Look at how colourful the ingredients list is! Highlighted in red are ingredients flagged comedogenic or irritating. Those in yellow are ingredients that score 3/5 on hazardous scale (5 = very hazardous). Those highlighted in green are ingredients normally present in every Innisfree skincare products. Does it look safe? I think not.

As for the ingredient highlighted in orange, this is called hydrogenated C6-14 olefin polymer. I wanted to know what makes this lotion so thick and gluey, so this is what I believe to be the main culprit behind my 3 months suffering. The C6-14 olefin is a viscosity increasing agent. It's still safe to be used, but look at how much you have here, then you'll know why this lotion is gifted with its unique gluey and gummy texture. This lotion also contains an unimaginable amount of emollients. Should you use this during the summer? You be the judge.


In short, I find no reason recommending anyone to try this lotion. Like, not even just trying it. All benefits you get from this little bottle can be obtained elsewhere with much friendly texture. The Green Tea Seed Cream which I've reviewed earlier is also a much better option. Unless you have extremely dry skin or you love something thick, gluey and hard to be absorbed, then I will just advise you to skip this lotion.

CLAIMS

The Jeju Sparkling Mineral line is made with mineral water from the sparkling mineral water drawn from UNESCO Global Geopark-designated Sanbang Mountain on the Jeju Island. Skin becomes clearer after use and feels like it's been soaked in hot spring water.

Skin
#restore skin pH balance ✓
#contain 88.8% sparkling mineral water ✓
#deliver moisture deep into your skin ✓
#refreshing ✓
#fast absorption ✓
#soothing O

Lotion
#hydra balancing with macadamia nut oil ✘
#contains 61.8% sparkling mineral water ✓
#provide deep hydration ✘
#has moist, skin-fitting texture that makes skin supple and moist from within ✘

free of parabens, animal ingredients, mineral oil, colorants, artificial fragrance, imidazolidinyl urea


Skin
Packaging ★★★★
Texture ★★
Scent ★★★★
Ingredients ★★★★
Performance ★★

Lotion
Packaging ★★★★
Texture 
Scent ★★
Ingredients ★★★
Performance 

CONCLUSION

I love buying toner and lotion set from the same brand, and same line. I feel that they work better together this way. In the morning, I usually just apply toner and lotion to kick start my day. But, not all toner and lotion work out well as a team. Hada Labo and Aqualabel both have great toners but very sticky and unpleasant-feeling lotion. The same thing is happening to Innisfree Jeju Sparkling Mineral line. The toner is great, but the lotion so-so (or worse than so-so). I have not tried the cream, but over-counter testing isn't feeling great either. I still prefer my Green Tea Seed Cream.

I love the toner a lot. It's so hydrating, so watery and so refreshing. It's just like a bottle of Sprite. For those who love Sprite, you should try this out! lol! However, this should not be mistaken as a treatment toner, first essence or softener. This is a refreshing and hydrating toner, full stop. It's not packed with a lot of active ingredients like my Nature Republic The First Essence, nor is it as softening and soothing as my Hadalabo toner. If you want something light, refreshing, moisturizing and can go straight into your skin and quench your thirst, then this is the thing that you are looking for. Another tip is to use this as a 3-5 minutes mini-facial. You'll see amazing results from it. Your skin will be so silky and velvety-like, full of glow and radiant like the women you see in Korean drama.


As for the lotion, can I just not talk about it? I simply just can't bear with its gluey and sticky texture. This gummy glue is nothing similar to other Innisfree lotions. I think it's even more gluey than Hadalabo Milk. It takes forever to sink in, and will not retain moisture. My skin gets dehydrated and produces oil every 3-4 hours like what happened when I used Nature Republic Super Aqua Max Combination line. It's a plain disappointment and a big waste of money. Unlike the toner which smells citrusy, this smells like glue (like it has a lot of polymers). Worst lotion I've ever used in my life (or any that I can remember of). Stay away!


You can get this from: Innisfree Malaysia / Hermo 
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...