26 Aug 2015

Review: It's Skin 2PM Sunblock SPF50+ PA+++


I got this sunblock from Hermo after I stomped across it at It's Skin Sungei Wang and fell in love with the scent and texture of this sunblock. I didn't get it directly from the Sungei Wang branch though because the price is twice more expensive than Hermo. Somehow, Korean brands that enter local market tend to price their products way too high compared to their original prices in Korea. I am not sure why, but it is either for greater profits or due to reasons like tax and operational costs.


I fell in love with the sunblock immediately after trying it on my hand. The texture is very moisturizing, soft and velvety, and what's more surprising is the scent of this product! It smells exactly, or very similar to the It's Skin Prestige Creme D'escargot, a very famous snail cream from the brand. It is very floral and sweet, something that can make you feel happy. 


I had been using Neogence Mineral Sunscreen from SASA prior to finding this sunblock. I terribly disliked that one. It smelled awful with some kind of poisonous cosmetic kind of smell that was so sickening. So this sunblock came like a gift from heaven for me. I immediately threw away the Neogence one when I found It's Skin.

Neogence Mineral Soothing UV Protection Emulsion 

The shipping was very fast, I got it the next day I placed my order. Hermo is known for fast delivery anyway. Despite all my excitement, this sunblock didn't deliver what I expected it to do. I had been using this for 8 months, and it was not because that this sunblock can last that long, it was simply due to my reluctant to pick this up from my dressing table.

The sunblock was named 2PM sunblock, after the name of the brand ambassador although I can hardly see how this sunblock is linked to 2PM. The little thing has a gorgeous golden shinny packaging, very beautiful and elegant just like the famous snail cream line from this brand. On the back, it says that this sunscreen must be finished within 12 months from opening. 


The It's Skin 2PM Sunblock comes in a tube with a small opening on top. This is common for UV products but it has a terrible disadvantage as well since debris from leftovers could accumulate at the bottleneck over time. It is still acceptable for me but I am not sure about other people.


However, what I dislike about the product is that it has a rather vicious texture, kind of like a thick lotion and would leave white cast if you apply 1/4 tablespoon (the advised dosage for maximum uv protection) on your face. The white cast disappears when the product is fully absorbed but it will leave a greasy and sticky finish. 

this is how much sunscreen you should use for your face:
If you don't have 1/4 tbspn, you can use your fingers

For anyone who won't mind the stickiness, I advise that either you use this sunblock to replace a lotion, or you apply this only in winter. I use this after my Innisfree Orchid Enriched Cream and both of them make my skin so itchy that I have to wash my face 1-2 hours after wearing it. I work in a very cold air-conditioned room and this sunscreen is still too heavy for me. Hence, I really don't advise individuals with combination or oily skin to try this out, especially if you sweat a lot or hate anything sticky. 

This sunblock creates a very thick layer of protection that will suffocate your skin. It is like making someone working under hot sun to wear sweater. Your skin won't be able to breathe. What's more, I feel that this sunblock which leaves a greasy and sticky layer on your face will attract dirt and debris and lock them in. So, sensitive, oil and combination skin folks, do watch out!

CLAIMS

This is a 4-in-1 sunscreen that provides better moisturizing and longer lasting effect. Also a waterproof sunblock against sweat and water.

#brightening
#wrinkle-care
#moisturizing
#nutrition
#sun protection

 

INGREDIENTS

Water, Cyclomethicone, Zinc Oxide, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Arbutin, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Isohexadecane, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Glyceryl Diisostearate, Buddleja Davidii Extract, Sambucus Nigra Flower Extract, Grifola Frondosa Mycelium Ferment Filtrate Extract, Adenosine, Beeswax, Magnesium Aluminium Silicate, Distearyldimonium Chloride, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Methicone Copolymer/Dimethicone, Sorbitan Oleate, Caprylyl Glycol, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Xantham Gum, Sodium Sulfate, BHT, Fragrance

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS 

This sunscreen uses zinc dioxide (to filter UVA), ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate (to filter UVB), and octisalate (to filter UVB) as major filters. For someone with freckles like myself, UVA is scarier than UVB because I don't get tan easily but can easily develop pigmentation. The uv filters here are good enough for me. 

On the other hand, I find that this sunscreen is loaded with silicones and emollients. Cyclomethicone is a slip agent, a type of silicone with drier finish than dimethicone. It is supposed to make the product glides smoothly on my face. And there is dimethicone, beeswax, and distearyldimonium chloride. No wonder they give the product a very slippery texture. They also add some moisturizer or slip agent such as butylene glycol to enhance absorption, as well as whitening agent such as arbutin. The rest are mainly emulsifier or thickener. There is only a small amount of plant extracts here, namely summer lilac extract, black elderberry extract and grifola frondosa mycelium extract with antioxidant, moisturizing, and soothing properties. Summer lilac is a very good extract with photoprotective and anti-oxidizing benefits.

I personally couldn't identify the presence of snail mucus, so I can dare say that this has nothing to do with the snail line of It's Skin. As for the wrinkle-care claim, since I can't identify any related ingredients so I do not endorse that claim either.



Packaging ★★★
Texture ★★
Application ★
Scent ★★★★
Ingredients ★★★★
Performance ★★


CONCLUSION

I think this sunscreen is very attractive at first sight, especially in terms of scent and design. You can easily spot it from the shelf, and buy it because you believe that this should be the sister product of It's Skin famous snail line. It also smells like one. I have been using It's Skin Prestige Creme D'escargot and can dare say that the texture of this product is totally different from the snail cream. The Prestige Creme melts into your skin, leaving a soft and silky finish unlike this sunscreen which leaves a really greasy finish. 

Normally, a sunscreen won't last too long if you use the right amount (1/4 tablespoon), but this sunscreen lasts me for 8 months, so you can imagine how much I dislike putting this on my face. Yes, it smells very nice, and has a smooth texture, but it doesn't get absorbed well and leaves a very uncomfortable greasy finish. Personally I don't like to apply sunscreen although I have to. Something greasy makes me even less likely to apply it. If you are living a cold and dry place, you will probably love it because you will find it moisturizing and nourishing enough, but definitely not for Malaysia weather. I have normal skin, and since this product cannot be well absorbed, it leaves patchy residues on my skin that is very uncomfortable. I feel itchy even if I just apply a pearl size amount, so it is really the problem of the formula. 

As for the wrinkle-care and brightening claims, I personally don't feel any difference and don't find it attractive. After all, sunscreen is sunscreen, they are not essence. Of course sunscreen with added benefits are good news for skincare lovers, but this will not become the reason for me to choose it. I like sunscreen that is light enough to feel barely visible on my face. My anti-aging and brightening essences can do a better job for both claims of this sunscreen so I don't really bother about that. I bought this sunscreen due to its sweet smell and smooth texture. I didn't expect it to be so hard to be absorbed after applying 2 fingerful amount. Having said that, this is no more than a sweet-smelling sunscreen that I will not repurchase.


You can get this from: Hermo / Jolse / SweetBox
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...