8 Aug 2015

Review: Innisfree Jeju Sparkling Mineral Essence

Innisfree introduces the Jeju Sparkling Mineral line in spring/summer 2015. The entire concept of this line comes from mineral water or deionized water where water molecules are smaller than normal water. This mineral water can then penetrate deeper and faster than normal water, carrying along all other active ingredients with it. If you are wondering what mineral water is... mineral water is water with all traces of minerals removed except for carbon dioxide.


As you can see in the illustration below... mineral water with carbon dioxide bursting up -- very lively and refreshing! It symbolizes spring where new life grows and flourishes.


After doing some research, I decide to get the basic three items from this line -- I am just intrigued. Can fresh spring water really make a difference compared to normal water? Is it as magical as it claims to be? Three items I got are (from left to right): essence, lotion and toner.


Since I finished the essence first, I will just do a review on the essence and catch up on the rest later.


The Mineral Essence comes in a handy and light aerosol can with a pump on top. You can easily carrying it around in your bag, and add some moisture during the day whenever you feel like it. Play with the pump, it is surprisingly convenient to use: you can either pump a handful, or just a little, depending on your mood and needs of course. Though my advise is, just squeeze a little if you want it to last longer.


In case anyone is interested, I have attached a 6-dimensional shot of the packaging. I didn't notice any label saying "finish this within N months after opening" on the packaging, so I assume that this can last as long as before it expires.





This was how much I pumped on my face everyday, I learned this from their official website and I thought this should be the "proper amount". But... OMG I was so WRONG. Using this much of amount everyday means this essence won't last you more than 1 month if you use it twice per day. Don't do that. Your essence will be gone when your toner and lotion are still 60% left.


The essence has a very very nice texture - super watery and melts into water within seconds on your skin. It smells citrus and somehow like carbonated water, like your favourite Sprite. Of course this leaves no greasiness, stickiness or any heavy feeling.


There is an instant spike in my skin moisture upon applying, and my skin feels so refreshed and hydrated. Like chill air flowing through your skin, very refreshing and cooling.

CLAIMS 

Formulated with 73.6% pure Jeju sparkling mineral water from Jeju Sanbangsan Mountain, this essence claims to have moisturizing effects that will keep your skin clear, relaxed and refreshed all day. It also formulated with micro sparkling technology which stabilizes carbonic acid and living carbonated bubbles to enhance blood circulation and provide skin massaging effect. 

5-in-1 SPA therapy effects:

#moisturizing
#improves skin texture
#brightens skin tone
#firming
#strengthens skin barrier


INGREDIENTS
(click here for my Cosdna profile)

Onsen-Sui (73.6%)PropanediolGlycereth-26, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol, Glycerin, Water, Carbon Dioxide, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Citrus Unshiu Extract, Niacinamide, Orchid Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Camellia Japonica Leaf Extract, Opuntia Coccinellifera Fruit Extract, Dimenthicone, Sodium Methyl Stearoyl Taurate, Squalane, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Chondrus Crispus, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-2 Dissostearate, Propylene Glycol, Peg-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS

I am not exactly impressed by the 73.6% of deionized water although it sounds quite cool. Deionized water is simply water in its purest form, with all its mineral traces removed. Maybe the Jeju mountain spring water is magical in its purest form, but who knows? We will look at other ingredients first before coming back to this.

Top ingredients in this essence are all moisturizers (propanediol, glycereth-26, butylene gylcol, glycerin). They are light moisturizers which intend to leave no greasy feeling on your skin. There is also alcohol and carbon dioxide added here to give extra refreshment and cooling effect.

Other good ingredients include yarrow extract (antioxidant, moisturizing), satsuma mandarin extract (antioxidant, melanin-inhibiting property), niacinamide (vitamin B3, one of the best for brightening effect), orchid extract (anti-aging), green tea extract (soothing, moisturizing), camellia extract (anti-oxidant, reduce collagen depletion), cactus extract (promote cell metabolism), squalane (wrinkle-care, promote cell renewal), algae (emollient).

In short, I think this product is great for those who want a light yet highly moisturizing essence. Carbon content in this essence can improve oxygen flow to your skin. With the benefits of melanin-inhibiting ingredients such as niacinamide and satsuma mandarin extract, I think it stands on its ground on the "skin tone brightening" and "skin texture improvement" claims. I am not exactly sure about firming (at least I don't notice any), but with its plant extracts with all the anti-oxidant properties, maybe you will see some firming effect too with prolonged usage. As for whether or not mineral water is great, I'll discuss that further in my review on the toner.

Packaging ★★★
Texture ★★★★
Application ★★★★
Scent ★★★★
Ingredients ★★★★
Performance ★★★★


CONCLUSION

I want to scream ----------------- I have finally found my holy-grail essence! Well, one of my holy grails! I love using this more than Laneige Water Bank Essence and Belif Hungarian Water Essence. They are three very different products of course, but I just can't resist the instant hydration and refreshment offered by this essence. It will just go straight into your skin, replenish all your thirst without leaving any heavy residues -- just like water. None of my other hydrating essences can achieve this magical effect. The formulation and ingredients used are just perfect for summer. Light enough to suit all skin types but moisturizing enough to quench even the thirstiest area of your skin.

Apart from boosted hydration, I haven't noticed any significant improvement in my skin tone and skin texture - which is something I must be honest with you guys. There is a slight increase in my skin radiance though, it means my skin looking healthy and dewy but the effect is just minimal considering that I only use this for 2 months once per day. I am sure the niacinamide and oranges inside don't have enough time to do any major repairing.

If I have to count, the only downside of this essence is how fast it finished. I was clueless about how much I should apply when I first got this essence, so I ended up applying a lot and finished it within 2 months (1 month technically because I only use it once per day). RM 110 or (RM 80 @ Althea) for an essence that can only last one month is killing my wallet. I expect my essence to last at least 3 months. This product finishes hell too fast whereas its toner and lotion from the same line still got 60% left. So do control your amount.


You can get this from: Innisfree Malaysia / Hermo / Althea 
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...