21 Oct 2014

Review: Dr. Wu Intensive Whitening System Intensive Whitening Toner, Lotion, Spot Treatment and Serum



I got this Dr. Wu intensive whitening system (they called their product series "system") from SASA when I wanted to find something more "high class" that can get rid of my freckles. I wasn't that active on social media or Instagram back then so the limited beauty information I have are all from local stores like Watsons, Guardian, AEON Wellness and SASA. SASA is our last resort because their products are always pricey and they always give this impression that they are high end cosmetic retailer.

I spent a lot of money at SASA actually, intrigued to try this and that. It is not only until I realize that those money I spent could probably buy me some "real" high end cosmetics and that these SASA skincare are not as good as I think that I regret my impulsive buying.

Let's look at some of the impulsive buys I did at SASA:

Dr. Wu Intensive Whitening Toner with Vitamin C+ 150ml, RM 119.00 @ SASA
Dr. Wu Intensive Whitening Serum with Vitamin C+ 30ml, RM 199.00 @ SASA
Dr. Wu Extra Whitening Lotion with AA2G 50ml RM, 119.00 @ SASA
Dr. Wu Whitening Spot Treatment with Vitamin C+ 20ml, RM 169.00 @ SASA


Dr. Wu and Dr. G are probably the two most reputable and most recommended brands whenever you walk into SASA looking for good skincare products. Well, I won't deny that these two are good brands, but certainly the price SASA is selling is a bit higher than their quality.

Dr. Wu is a Taiwanese brand formulated by doctor. Its specialization is designing skincare for sensitive skin with only scientific research backed ingredients. I cannot find ingredients list on their products (maybe they have but I didn't notice back then) but those are certainly not available online. The best-selling product or line of Dr. Wu is their hyaluronic acid moisturizing line. Their whitening line is less well known but since I have a lot of faith in Dr. Wu I wasn't that hesitated to give it a try.

A reminder though, Dr. Wu doesn't carry a cleanser for its whitening line. You are advised to get their Mandelic Acid Foam Cleanser which I was a bit hesitated since it is made of AHA and might irritate my skin. I only got their toner, lotion, serum and spot treatment.


Dr. Wu doesn't carry a wide range of products, which is good because it means they review their products from time to time to ensure that only the best are served. It also saves my time studying the difference between two seemingly similar products. 

Dr. Wu Intensive Whitening Toner with Vitamin C+ 150ml (US$ 25)


This toner is suitable for dull and sensitive skin. Usually whitening products are quite drying, but this one comes with Sodium Hyaluronate so it is also moisturizing.


It has vicious and concentrated texture, watery enough to flow freely but not exactly like the water toner you could see in most toners. It is sort of like the Hada Labo toner but this one is not sticky.


One thing special about this toner is that, it gets absorbed instantly into your skin just by spreading it across your skin. Since it is very concentrated, you don't need a lot of them, a little can go a long way. It has some plant-like chemical smell which is not pleasant though. 

One thing I must warn you about this toner though. It has a lot of active ingredients inside and comes in a tube form with a small opening on top, so it is exposed to the air each time you use it. In other words, it might get spoiled easily. Mine spoiled in 2.5 months while there was still 60% inside. You can tell if it is spoiled when the smell turns into some Veet Hair Removal Cream or Hair Dyes kind of smell. Also, I spotted visible oil-water separation. I already used two bottles, and both spoiled within 3 months

I wrote to the Dr. Wu in Taiwan and they told me it was probably my room temperature or storage condition. But only this toner got spoiled, others didn't so I doubted it was my room conditions problem. 

CLAIMS

It could act on different steps of melanin synthesis process and work at the source of melanogenesis by blocking the composition of tyrosinase. 

#mimic the brightening effect of laser aesthetic treatment
#block the composition of tyrosinase
#brightening
#de-pigmentation
#anti-aging
#elasticity
#even out skin tone
#cure UV-sensitivity

INGREDIENTS



Packaging ★★★★
Texture ★★★☆
Scent ★★
Application ★★★☆
Performance ★★★☆

CONCLUSION

Vitamin C is one of the safest and effective whitening agents, which made it the best candidate for this toner as it is designed for the sensitive skin people. I like the texture of this product, it gets absorbed easily although it is quite concentrated. Although the scent is quite awful (at least not nice), but it is still acceptable if there is a lot of active ingredients inside to brighten my skin. I think they must really change the design though to avoid the product gets contaminated easily and spoiled. As for effectiveness, I think it does brighten my skin and moisturize it. I could not endorse other fancy claims it makes because I don't have any machine to test it. After using it for 6 months every night along with other Dr. Wu products, I think my skin is brightened with a dewy look. It does moisturize my skin well too. Not a repurchase in the future.

Dr. Wu Intensive Whitening Serum with Vitamin C+ 30ml (US$ 50)



My first impression on this serum is "high quality stuff". At least, this is much better than other serums I had before. It is very concentrated yet easily absorbed. 30ml of serum could last you some 5-6 months only using it at night. 



It comes in a test-tube design, which is much more hygienic I think. It is also very useful to control the volume of product needed each time. 


Instant absorption leaving no residues whatsoever. Skin is moisturized and supple after that.

CLAIMS

It contains 5 advanced patented technologies that can effectively block the composition of tyrosinase at the source of melanogenesis. 

#brightening
#de-pigmentation
#elasticity
#anti-aging
#even out skin tone


INGREDIENTS


Packaging ★★★
Texture ★★★
Scent ★★
Application ★★★
Performance ★★★

CONCLUSION


Putting asides its price (US$ 50, RM 199), I would think that this serum is very good. It has a very good texture, quite moisturizing; and is convenient to apply. After 5-6 months of usage (only at night), my skin becomes noticeably softer and brightened. Not whitened, just brightened. I could not endorse its other claims (elasticity and anti-aging) because I am still in my mid-20s but I guess having enough moisture on your face makes you look young. The de-pigmentation process is quite slow though with only minimal differences noticed (after 28 x 6 cycles). Regardless, I don't think it worths the price at all. At RM 199, I could get something better from Laneige, It's Skin and so on. Maybe it was just SASA who tends to price things high without discount. Again, that's just me.


Dr. Wu Extra Whitening Lotion with AA2G 50ml (US$ 28.33)




I must say that I love this lotion! I think Dr. Wu has done a great job at blending water and lipid for this lotion, giving a really smooth light-weighted lotion. It does a good job moisturizing my face but the moisturizing power I think is insufficient. So I usually top it with sleeping mask. You could also get the gel version if you have oily or combination skin. 




This lotion smells just exactly like "body lotion", and is neither rich or light, it is just right at the middle. Does that mean no fragrance or unnecessary chemicals are added then? 




It is easy to spread on your skin, leaving a moisturized yet non-greasy layer on your skin. Regardless, this is insufficient to be used at night or for someone with dry skin. 


CLAIMS


It is a lusciously light and refreshing moisturizer that hydrates, perfects and protects. 


#brightening

#de-pigmentation
#anti-aging
#elasticity
#even skin ton
#hydration

INGREDIENTS



Packaging ★★★
Texture ★★★
Scent ★★
Application ★★★

Performance ★★★

CONCLUSION


I like this lotion, I think this is one of the best lotions I have ever used. It would be a good deal for those with dull, sensitive and non-dry skin. Since I have none, this is a decent whitening lotion with decent moisturizing power. But I don't think I will repurchase in the future. I think this lotion is not particularly good at moisturizing at night and cannot stand alone as a brightening moisturizer. unless I repurchase the whole set, I won't buy this alone again.


Dr. Wu Whitening Spot Treatment with Vitamin C+ 20ml (US$ 40)



I got this spot treatment because I have freckles, but it turned out to be quite disappointing. This does not really lighten them albeit its claim that it can lighten freckles within 28 days. My freckles are still there after 3 months of usage, not because they are hard to be removed, in fact, they fade after I switch to another anti-pigmentation product. 




It feels somewhat hot to apply on your face, and two small rice size is sufficient for your freckles. It has a strong citrus smell which means its Vitamin C content is quite high. This is better than other de-pigmentation product I got from SASA though (Methode Swiss Spot Treatment) but is still considered ineffective compared to my Cloud9 Blanc De Whitening Cream. 




CLAIMS


It has powerful whitening agents that can reduce pre-existing melanin by suppressing melanin synthesis and prevent pigmentation. 


#brightening

#de-pigmentation
#even out skin tone
#anti-aging

INGREDIENTS



Packaging ★★★
Texture ★★★
Scent ★★
Application ★★★

Performance ★★★

CONCLUSION

This costs RM 169.00 (US$ 40) at SASA and it has not done much to lighten my freckles. It still feels good on skin, with nice citrus smell and easy application, but the effect is slow and barely visible. I guess this is because they design this for those with sensitive skins so you must wait a little longer for the effect. I am impatient and I don't want to waste another RM 169.00 and 5-6 months to see minimal changes in my freckles again. So I think this is not my cup of tea.

Final Thought


Dr. Wu whitening system is considered the first whitening line I used to lighten my freckles asides from mere brightening. Overall, I think these are good products for individuals with dull and sensitive skin are they are nicely formulated and are suitable for all skin types. However, if you are looking for something to really lighten your freckles, then these aren't the best products. After using it every night for about 5-6 months, I notice a brighter skin tone with a healthy dewy look but with minimal freckles elimination. Besides, since you can only get these from SASA (and normally without good discount), you need some RM 500-600 for the whole range, which is costly especially that these aren't THAT special compared to other brightening products. But if you can get them for cheaper prices, then I am sure these are very nice choices.



You can get this from: SASA Malaysia

[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...